1st Year Peach Tree - From Bare Root Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

i planted a bare root peach tree around the middle of April. It came out of dormancy within a week or two, and started pushing out leaves, and a few new stems. It seemed to be growing quickly and seemed very healthy. But once it got to a certain point, everything seemed to have stopped. I don't think i have seen any new growth, or just growth period in at least a month or so. Is this normal as it is now the summer, and from what i read growth is very slow until it goes dormant in fall? I also noticed some reddish spots on some of the leaves, not sure if that has something to do with it. I have attached a picture of the tree in its current state. Let me know if there is anything that i can do.

FYI i live in NJ, my fruit trees are fertilized and watered accordingly. This is my first year in growing fruit trees and a garden, and for the most part everything is going well.

Thanks in advance!

peach.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is supposed to grow rapidly in the summer. It appears from what I can see in the picture that the tree is planted slightly too deep. I can see the graft but not the root flare. Also, it appears to be slightly chlorotic. What are you feeding with and how much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I purchase a lot of bare root trees and have to agree with Chuck -
Planted too deep. If the trees I purchase are going to be made into bonsai, I start them right off in soilless mix. If the are going to be ground planted, I start them in pots using Miracle Gro potting soil and do not fertilize. I wait until the roots reach the openings in the bottom of the pot before planting in the ground. Usually 1 or 2 years.

Getting back to your question, a few trees do experience a mid summer slump. They seem to perk up again just before it is time to transfer energy from the leaves and branches to the roots. I would leave it for now and raise it up next March before any buds bloom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck,

I use Liquid Fish Fertilizer from Southland Organics that i apply every 3 weeks, per instructions. I use 1 oz mixed with 1 gallon of water. Every month i use their Compost Tea, and use 1 oz for 1 gallon of water.

If i planted too deep then thats the newbie gardner in me. I followed the directions which said just to make sure that the painted part of the trunk be above the soil line. Per your instructions Silentrunning, i will raise it up some next March.

Let me know if there are any other suggestions. I have other questions i will post as seperate posts for my other fruit trees.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck,

I use Liquid Fish Fertilizer from Southland Organics that i apply every 3 weeks, per instructions. I use 1 oz mixed with 1 gallon of water. Every month i use their Compost Tea, and use 1 oz for 1 gallon of water.

If i planted too deep then thats the newbie gardner in me. I followed the directions which said just to make sure that the painted part of the trunk be above the soil line. Per your instructions Silentrunning, i will raise it up some next March.

Let me know if there are any other suggestions. I have other questions i will post as seperate posts for my other fruit trees.

Thanks again.
Southland fish fertilizer is an excellent product. However, when growing trees I do not think it is enough by itself. I would like to see you also use a product like Espoma's Tree Tone. The liquid fish fertilizer is a slow release fertilizer meaning it releases nutrients slowly over a period of time. Products like the tree tone are both fast and slow release plus it has a lot of other trace minerals, more so than liquid fertilizers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
According to their website, this is only applied twice a year. Once in the beginning of spring, then the other when the leaves have all dropped in the fall. I would wait until fall to apply then correct?

Also, i dont need to worry about the red spots on the leaves?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
According to their website, this is only applied twice a year. Once in the beginning of spring, then the other when the leaves have all dropped in the fall. I would wait until fall to apply then correct?

Also, i dont need to worry about the red spots on the leaves?
I looked up the product and it is just another, although higher quality, cold water fish fertilizer. It is no wonder that the leaves on your tree are showing the first signs of chlorosis. You should be fertilizing once a month, not twice a year with this product. Can you take a close up picture of the red spots? I doubt if they are anything to worry about but if I could see them I could tell you if it is serious or not.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck,

I apply my fish fertilizer every 3 weeks per the instructions as stated earlier. I was referencing what i read on the website for Espoma Tree Tone for the twice a year :)

I will take pics when i get home and upload.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck,

I apply my fish fertilizer every 3 weeks per the instructions as stated earlier. I was referencing what i read on the website for Espoma Tree Tone for the twice a year :)

I will take pics when i get home and upload.
My mistake. When applying organic fertilizers they are very forgiving, unlike chemical fertilizers. It is hard to over fertilize with organics. I would do the espoma every 3 months for a year but if you are going to wait until the fall to raise the tree I would wait on it to keep the root system small.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some closeup pics of the leaves, and stems (which look reddish a bit). Hopefully nothing is seriously the matter.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 148
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 145
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here are some closeup pics of the leaves, and stems (which look reddish a bit). Hopefully nothing is seriously the matter.
The damage is probably from stink bugs. It is possible but doubtful it is a fungal problem. If the spots start to appear on numerous leaves spray with Neem Oil. And keep an eye out for stink bugs.

Ask a Question