growing sweet corn for 1st time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
so I am trying sweetcorn for the 1st time. I have been researching since last spring. raised bed. I put in Manure last fall. have read that fish bone meal works great.
I know the soil has to be high in Nitrogen. Is their any particular fertilizer that anyone has found to work best in growning corn?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you remember that sweetcorn is a grass, then act accordingly, you're halfway there.
I use pelleted composted chicken manure @ 2-3 handfuls p.sq.yd.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
← 5 June 2016 Preserving Vegetables.
6 June 2016 Vegetable Garden →
5 June 2016 Indian Corn
Posted on June 5, 2016 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2016/July 2016/29 July 2016 Indian Corn/HTML/29 July 2016 Indian Corn
The patch of Indian corn is thriving. No bird or squirrel damage. Some stalks are ten feet in height.
dsc_125629%20july%202016%20garden_std.jpg

http://durgan.org/2016/June 2016/14 June 2016 Indian Corn/HTML/14 June 2016 Indian Corn
The Indian corn is up about three inches. All grew. No bird damage so far.
indian%20corn0668_std.jpg

http://durgan.org/2016/June 2016/5 June 2016 Indian Corn/HTML/5 June 2016 Indian Corn
Five rows of Indian corn, colored, was planted. This will give about sixty plants, which I use for making nixtamalized cereal. The seeds were placed in water in a warm place for about 30 hours to sprout prior to planting. Spacing was 8 inches and depth about 1.5 inches. The boards will be placed over the small shoots for a few days to discourage birds.
dsc_92215%20june%202016%20indian%20corn_std.jpg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
A few things I've learned about garden corn over the years:

1) Soil prep begins well before any seed corn is planted. I use legume cover crops in the preceding summer and legumes and small grains cover in the preceding winter...and never plant corn in the same location for at least two growing seasons. Doing this takes care of my fertilizing needs along with fish emulsion applied during growing

2) it is very important to plant your seeds all in the same direction and same depth to help insure perfect simultaneous seed germination which in turn insures pollination which is critical to success. Plants germinating late won't pollinate properly...you want them all tasseling at the same time.

3) Corn needs several facing rows to pollinate fully. This is critical.

4) Growing is easy but I advise stagger planting to provide a continuous supply of fresh corn all summer and fall. I have two plantings going right now, one started April 1 and a second started May 1. I will do a third planting on June 1 and should have continuous fresh corn after that until frost.

Garden sweet corn is one of the ultimate taste delights one can experience. We absolutely love it!

Ask a Question