ALL winter, anxiously awaited the arrival of the 3rd year (1st year of harvest).........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
........for the asparagus bed. The first two years it grew like gang-busters (posted pictures of the "jungle" of asparagus).....Third year arrives and almost nothing is coming up. Put it "to bed" late in the fall with a heavy layer of homemade compost just as the year before. By this time last year, the bed was FULL. Keeping my fingers crossed although the prospects looks mighty dim. Going to give it 30 days to "wake up" before it gets dug up. Expectation and reality clash...........resulting in a "BUMMER"...........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
........for the asparagus bed. The first two years it grew like gang-busters (posted pictures of the "jungle" of asparagus).....Third year arrives and almost nothing is coming up. Put it "to bed" late in the fall with a heavy layer of homemade compost just as the year before. By this time last year, the bed was FULL. Keeping my fingers crossed although the prospects looks mighty dim. Going to give it 30 days to "wake up" before it gets dug up. Expectation and reality clash...........resulting in a "BUMMER"...........
This has been a really strange year weather wise for everyone. Asparagus is no exception to growth habits when it comes to weather. Don't dig it up. It will produce but maybe not this year. Remember that squash plant you pulled because it had one scrawny squash on it. It is completely normal for the first couple of squash to be hard and small. The rest will be fine. Same with asparagus. Just give it time. It is not an overnight plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This has been a really strange year weather wise for everyone. Asparagus is no exception to growth habits when it comes to weather. Don't dig it up. It will produce but maybe not this year. Remember that squash plant you pulled because it had one scrawny squash on it. It is completely normal for the first couple of squash to be hard and small. The rest will be fine. Same with asparagus. Just give it time. It is not an overnight plant.
Words of encouragement and wisdom.....Thanks, Chuck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I thought the same thing, and then almost overnight everything came up like gang-busters! We have eaten five meals from our bed so far, and more is coming. Hang in there for a while longer.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Over 3 weeks have passed since original post. Over 2 weeks ago I planted 10 strawberry crowns in the bed......not a SINGLE one came up, either. This is what the bed looks like now......being perplexed is an understatement.....
20190616_091009.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Over 3 weeks have passed since original post. Over 2 weeks ago I planted 10 strawberry crowns in the bed......not a SINGLE one came up, either. This is what the bed looks like now......being perplexed is an understatement.....View attachment 55160
How deep did you plant the crowns? You should have about 1/2 - 1 inch of the crown above the soil. Did the crowns come in the mail and how long did you have the crowns before planting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How deep did you plant the crowns? You should have about 1/2 - 1 inch of the crown above the soil. Did the crowns come in the mail and how long did you have the crowns before planting?
I planted the crowns with the tops showing, as I always have. I bought them from a store (can't remember which) that had a display......I ALMOST didn't buy them because it was the last package (even though they still "appeared" to be viable) AND they had been down to 1/2 price.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted the crowns with the tops showing, as I always have. I bought them from a store (can't remember which) that had a display......I ALMOST didn't buy them because it was the last package (even though they still "appeared" to be viable) AND they had been down to 1/2 price.....
They were probably old and had dried out. Big Box Stores are notorious for letting stuff dry out and then wetting them down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They were probably old and had dried out. Big Box Stores are notorious for letting stuff dry out and then wetting them down.
TRUTH.........Just the other day I was looking at the Japanese Maples at Lowe's.....High dollar "trees" just perishing to death for moisture......

Ask a Question