The return of overwintered blueberry and rhododendron

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in lower NY and left my blueberry and rhododendron outside in their pots over the winter. They survived, and are coming back to life. Unfortunately it seems not all of the plant has rejuvenated, yet, and most regrowth is occurring on lower branches.

My question is whether or not I should prune the tops/old leaves or leave them be and they will come back. Should I touch them at all or let them do their thing?

Blueberry (should I prune off the red tips?):

Rhododendron (Should I remove the old leaves and branches above the green sections?):
https://i.imgur.com/l2iEVb2.jpg

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
At some point you will want to cut off clearly dead wood, but don't be in a rush to do. Make sure the wood is completely dead before removing.

Your Blueberry (Vaccinium sp.) does indeed seem to be coming back nicely, but that Rhododendron is going to take a long journey through 'Uglyland' before it recovers, if it recovers. You can cut off those brown Rhododendron leaves immediately, as they are clearly dead and admittedly an eyesore.

Ask a Question