Pruning Peach Tree in container

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a Sam Houston peach tree in a half wine-barrel. It is growing nicely and appears to be very healthy. Putting it in the ground is not an option.

My question is this: since it is in a container, how should I prune the tree to keep it from getting too big for its britches? I am not looking to produce copious bushels of peaches and will be happy just get get a few each year, if that proves possible, and would like to know if I should, and how to, prune it to keep it as healthy and ballanced looking as I can within the limits of the container it is living in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a Sam Houston peach tree in a half wine-barrel. It is growing nicely and appears to be very healthy. Putting it in the ground is not an option.

My question is this: since it is in a container, how should I prune the tree to keep it from getting too big for its britches? I am not looking to produce copious bushels of peaches and will be happy just get get a few each year, if that proves possible, and would like to know if I should, and how to, prune it to keep it as healthy and ballanced looking as I can within the limits of the container it is living in.
A Sam Houston is a big tree. While still young cut the top off of the tree like you did with the lemon. Peaches grow on 1 year old wood or this years growth. You can prune heavily. Some folks who grow peaches in containers prune up to 50%. But no matter what you do it will have to go in the ground at some point. And next year don't forget to thin the peaches. If you have a big bloom expect to thin 50%

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks again, Chuck!

I don't have a lemon tree - I wish I did!

I think the tree was topped off before I bought it (it was in a bag of stuff with just a trunk and few short branches) - is that what you mean?

All of the branches, plus quite a few new ones, are getting long. Should I prune the branches back - say one third to half way?

Attachments

• DSC_1564.jpg
    DSC_1564.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 183
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks again, Chuck!

I don't have a lemon tree - I wish I did!

I think the tree was topped off before I bought it (it was in a bag of stuff with just a trunk and few short branches) - is that what you mean?

All of the branches, plus quite a few new ones, are getting long. Should I prune the branches back - say one third to half way?
If you tip the tall branches it will cause new growth from where the cut was made at the leaf node . It is difficult to maintain a container plant like this but you will have to cut them or it will get super top heavy. Just remember that anything that grows this year will have fruit next year. Think about what you are cutting and don't just start whacking willy nilly. Thats a nice looking tree. Who ever pruned it knew what they were doing. I can't tell from the picture how many tall upright limbs there are. I think it is 4. If so cut the shortest one 1 leaf down from the tip and then cut the other 3 at the same height of the one your pruned. Don't do anything to the others yet, wait about a month and then cut 3 or 4 of the lowest branches off at the trunk. It may try to sprout new growth where the limb was cut off and if so just keep them pruned off. What you are trying to achieve is a wine glass shape. Open in the middle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, Chuck - again!

It grew a lot of branches off the trunk in the beginning of the year - I removed all from the trunk but for 3, I think (lowest branches in photo).

If I ever do decide to plant in in the ground, what time of year do I do that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, Chuck - again!

It grew a lot of branches off the trunk in the beginning of the year - I removed all from the trunk but for 3, I think (lowest branches in photo).

If I ever do decide to plant in in the ground, what time of year do I do that?
When it begins to cool off in the fall.......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you tip the tall branches it will cause new growth from where the cut was made at the leaf node . It is difficult to maintain a container plant like this but you will have to cut them or it will get super top heavy. Just remember that anything that grows this year will have fruit next year. Think about what you are cutting and don't just start whacking willy nilly. Thats a nice looking tree. Who ever pruned it knew what they were doing. I can't tell from the picture how many tall upright limbs there are. I think it is 4. If so cut the shortest one 1 leaf down from the tip and then cut the other 3 at the same height of the one your pruned. Don't do anything to the others yet, wait about a month and then cut 3 or 4 of the lowest branches off at the trunk. It may try to sprout new growth where the limb was cut off and if so just keep them pruned off. What you are trying to achieve is a wine glass shape. Open in the middle.
Or, wait until the tree is dormant in the winter and cut off everything except the 4 limbs that make the canopy

Ask a Question