What's Wrong? - Strawberries

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone?

I went to check on my Quinalt strawberries and saw these red spots on the leaves! Can anyone help me figure out what these are and how to take care of it?

Here's some observations I've noticed that may/may not help:
  • I do have fungus gnats around my garden
  • I've noticed that there are some tiny beetle-like insects in the mulch
  • Earwigs are also a problem around the garden
  • I just noticed these spots today, however I do check on my plants often and didn't notice it before
  • I water my strawberries daily, because I live in S. Cali where the weather is very hot
  • I have them in partial shade because of the intense heat here

Attachments

• 20200525_100553.jpg
    20200525_100553.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 118
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you live close to the ocean? If so it is probably a salt problem. Or fertilizing with synthetic fertilizers over a period of time can cause a salt buildup. Leaf margins like that on a strawberry is a sign of stress usually caused by salt, lack of water

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Raineir

It's called "Common spot of strawberry".

I've had it in recent years. It hasn't caused any serious problems for my plants that I'm aware of, but I grow them casually and just eat them if I see them, so it's possible that if you're more dedicated you might notice if there is any negative impact.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you live close to the ocean? If so it is probably a salt problem. Or fertilizing with synthetic fertilizers over a period of time can cause a salt buildup. Leaf margins like that on a strawberry is a sign of stress usually caused by salt, lack of water
I live about an hour and a half from the ocean, so that may not be it. But I have fertilized them with disolvable Miracle-Gro fertilizer, so that makes sense.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Raineir

It's called "Common spot of strawberry".

I've had it in recent years. It hasn't caused any serious problems for my plants that I'm aware of, but I grow them casually and just eat them if I see them, so it's possible that if you're more dedicated you might notice if there is any negative impact.
Ahh okay. Thank you for the information!

Ask a Question