What's the difference in Manure?

• Thread starter Peace perfect peace
  • Start date
Reaction score
Country
United States
OMRI is an organic certification program, which is fine as far as it goes, but certification does add costs which raises prices. There is a lot of material available that could be certified but isn't, and a lot of mateial that might not even qualify for certification, but will stillnot cause any ill effects to garden soil.

In my experience, soils, compost,s and amendments are usually sold by volume, and should be, because changeable water content will greatly affect weight. I've seen 3 cubic foot bags of soil amendment largely composed of forest product and manure sell for 9 to 12 dollars but I can get a cubic yard of similar material for between 25 to 40.00 including deliver. Even if I compare the lower price of the bagged material and the higher price of the bulk material, the bulk material is half the price. of course the difference can be greater than that,. depending on numerous factors, especially quantity, and quality. However quality itself, can be quite subjective and will depend on usage, aesthetics, and other needs or preferences.

Also, one additional environmental point for bulk compost is it reduces the amount of waste plastic produced (the bags) considerably.

Personally, I buy both bagged and bulk products depending on the material, the quantity I need, and how much I want to store at any one time, but I would prefer to buy bulk more often and do so when the quantity needed makes it cost-effective.
I generally was buying compost from a few sources around me 2/3 are OOB.
Im looking into new sorces now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The main thing is to make sure that the product is OMRI rated. It will be on the bag somewhere. Bulk composts should always be tested before incorporating into the garden. When a company makes bulk compost the materials usually come from a myriad of places and is impossible to test everything. Batches of bagged compost are tested at the composting site but in rare cases a batch or portion of a batch will slip through as in what happened to Dirt Mechanic and the Black Kow compost. This is why I test a small amount out of each bag. Buying in unbagged bulk quantities numerous tests should be done. Bulk compost, AFAIK is never tested.
I purchase compost every 3rd year. I find that enough of the material in bagged compost will last a maximum of 3 years in order to maintain a good percentage of organic matter in my garden soil for growing vegetables. I don't grow anything I can't eat so I can't attest to growing anything else and the amount of organic matter needed for that.
Thank you for the OMRI tip.
I found one place so far , they are clear across the state.

Basically a quick search and the only readily available OMRI stuff is Coast Of Main $8/1 cuft vs $45 per cuyd . Will have to look deeper. Stopped by a few local farms . They produce there own but non for sale.

Last edited:

Ask a Question