Can I plant Pine, Spruce seeds in Fall, winter or i need to wait till spring?

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Can I plant Pine, Spruce seeds in Fall, winter or i need to wait till spring? If i do put them in soil will they grow, rot ? what will happen? Also what if i buy special lamp for seedlings to grow can I try anyway to plant them in fall?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You need cold-stratify your seeds before they will germinate. This can be done several ways.
If you plant them outside in the Fall, they will be stratified by cool temperatures (1º-5º C) during Winter and should germinate in Spring ,but you might lose some seeds to rodents, rot, or even excessive cold.
Another method to more safely stratify your seeds is to put them in a plastic bag filled with damp sand and then put the bag in the refrigerator (NOT the freezer!) for at least a month, longer might be better.

If you have a greenhouse or bright window you can try germinating your seed before Spring, but after it has been stratified. I would try some both ways since the seedlings might grow better outdoors in Spring than in a Greenhouse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You need cold-stratify your seeds before they will germinate. This can be done several ways.
If you plant them outside in the Fall, they will be stratified by cool temperatures (1º-5º C) during Winter and should germinate in Spring ,but you might lose some seeds to rodents, rot, or even excessive cold.
Another method to more safely stratify your seeds is to put them in a plastic bag filled with damp sand and then put the bag in the refrigerator (NOT the freezer!) for at least a month, longer might be better.

If you have a greenhouse or bright window you can try germinating your seed before Spring, but after it has been stratified. I would try some both ways since the seedlings might grow better outdoors in Spring than in a Greenhouse.
Haha funny you mentioned the refrigerator. The back part of the top of a refrigerator can be a nice warm spot to germinate seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Haha funny you mentioned the refrigerator. The back part of the top of a refrigerator can be a nice warm spot to germinate seeds.
There you go, when the seeds are done stratifying inside the fridge, just put them on top to germinate.

BTW, you can also use those things to keep food fresh.

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
So if i would try now to sow the seeds in the soil they just wouldn't germinate in the soil ? Until spring?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So if i would try now to sow the seeds in the soil they just wouldn't germinate in the soil ? Until spring?
Probably not. Cold stratification likely evolved because seeds that germinated in the Fall were too small to survive a cold Winter. Germinating in the Spring gives the seedlings a whole season to get larger before their first winter.

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Probably not. Cold stratification likely evolved because seeds that germinated in the Fall were too small to survive a cold Winter. Germinating in the Spring gives the seedlings a whole season to get larger before their first winter.
I mean if i sow them indoors now than you mean they would germinate or you mean just outdoors? What if I use Plant led lamp indoors ? They wouldn't germinate as well. Cuz I am a bit lost now what to do I received from mail some seeeds and its fall Do i just keep them to stratify in fridge whole fall and winter until spring covered with wet paper towel or just keep them in the same pack i received them and do nothing and only sow them in the spring? Or if in doors i can sow them after a month stratification? Sorry for stupid question just want to be sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Try both. Plant some in pots you will keep outside for the winter, in a sheltered spot. Stratify the rest in bags of moist soil in your refrigerator. You could experiment with stratifying for different amounts of time, say 40 days, 80 days, 120 days, and see which works best. Also try germinating some immediately, to see if that will work. After stratification, you can try to germinate the rest in a greenhouse, under a grow lamp, or outdoors when it is warm enough.

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Try both. Plant some in pots you will keep outside for the winter, in a sheltered spot. Stratify the rest in bags of moist soil in your refrigerator. You could experiment with stratifying for different amounts of time, say 40 days, 80 days, 120 days, and see which works best. Also try germinating some immediately, to see if that will work. After stratification, you can try to germinate the rest in a greenhouse, under a grow lamp, or outdoors when it is warm enough.

Is indoor plant panel worth it to get? Does it really work? Lets say if i get 40w led panel?

Like this one on Amazon

Reaction score
Country
United States
You would have to determine this product's worth based on your own needs.

If it were me, I would just grow outdoor trees outdoors, but I do realize that the growing season is shorter in northern Europe. Maybe it is worth it for you to extend the season indoors.

Ask a Question