Saving a lucky bamboo plant. Was kept in unfavorable conditions.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hello there, y'all awesome wanders of this world. A few days ago I took the initiative to take home a cute lucky bamboo plant who's been kept at work in unfavorable conditions: daily direct sunlight, but only a short time each day, tap water and chiller not working for weeks. While some colleagues keeping lights on at night.
It has a few leaves, of which 3 or 4 are completely yellow, except the thinner part towards the stem. It has a new green leaf growing.
It's somewhat warm in at home as well, but open windows create some ventillatiin throughout the day. I changed the water in the vase with clean water, hydrated its leaves once in 2 days and gave it sunlight, but not directly in it. Also it can enjoy day / night cycle since I rarely turn lights on in that room.
Roots are still greenish, but overgrown, that the poor fellow cannot be removed from the pot, so breaking it is the only way I guess (didn't do it yet). It's stem is fully covered in water. Gave it a few drops of Boracal, hoping it can give it a slight boost and nothing else.
Stem is still green on some segments, on some it is a bit pale, towards whitish. Though picture shows it brown for some reason. Will make some extra photos when I get home.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Huggies, stay awesome and live (b)right!

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_161327.jpg
    IMG_20230623_161327.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's cooked, time to get rid of it, learn from mistakes, and move on to something wonderful. It's lost all its chlorophyll and most likely won't make it in that growing environment. All plants are impermanent and will not last forever. Letting them go at the right time is key because of this law.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
The little one has 2 green leaves though. The stem is NOT brown as the picture shows but still somewhat green. I trust the little one can change. I mean, not bad to keep trying, I have nothing to lose.
Thanks for the quick reply though!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't know anything about growing indoor bamboo but it doesn't look like there is any soil or drainage in that glass bottle. You might be able to save it if you pull it out and whatever roots you can get out still attached might keep it alive in soil. I've no idea, you should read up on how to grow bamboo indoors and see what kind of soil, sun etc it needs. I've been trying to kill bamboo that's growing outside and even the slightest little bit left in the ground with half a root will grow back so I assume it's the same for that one. Or as you said breaking the glass is another option. Whatever you do with it I hope it works out for you.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Well, lil' one looking better. Changed water again, since it was stinky and removed it finally from the pot. Had super long roots, the ends were orange and stinky. I cut the roots short, and cut the 3 yellow leaves. Now the only thing remaining is green or greenish. Hope the lil' one recovers.

Attachments

• IMG_20230714_163700.jpg
    IMG_20230714_163700.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
If one is going to grow plants in water it's best to oxygenate the water and have an appropriate ppm or amount of complete fertilizer in the water. Plants can't live very long without oxygen and nutrients. If a plant is to regain its green color then a small amount of Nitrogen may help. Keep us posted

Ask a Question