Saving seed potato

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I’ve been gardening for a long time but never tried potatoes until last year. I had a very difficult time finding seed potatoes. I saw that a lot if people were just saving some organic potatoes to use. I saved about a quarter of this box of potatoes I purchased from the Amish. I kept the kid on them all winter and when I opened them this is what they looked like. Are these ok to use or did I keep them too long? They aren’t rotten but are slightly soft. Please help, not sure what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2321.jpeg
    IMG_2321.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2320.jpeg
    IMG_2320.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Soft is just loss of water.
Take the long white stems off; they are too weak to grow, wait a week & then plant them.
Do not plant them deep; just cover them with soil water well & give them extra hilling as they come up.
You WILL need to water them more, because they're so shallow, but it will make up for lost time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Soft is just loss of water.
Take the long white stems off; they are too weak to grow, wait a week & then plant them.
Do not plant them deep; just cover them with soil water well & give them extra hilling as they come up.
You WILL need to water them more, because they're so shallow, but it will make up for lost time.
Thank you for the info. I will try it the way you said. I just hated to throw them out. Thanks!

Ask a Question