Basil harvesting and seeds saving

Reaction score
Country
United States
Harvesting and saving basil seeds is a relatively easy process that can be done in just a few steps:
  • Wait until the basil flowers have dried out and turned brown. This is a sign that the seeds are ready to be harvested.
  • Cut the flower stalks off the basil plant and place them in a paper bag. Be sure to label the bag with the date and the variety of basil.
  • Hang the bag upside down in a warm, dry place for a few weeks. This will allow the seeds to fully dry out and separate from the flowers.
  • Once the seeds have fully dried, gently shake the bag to separate the seeds from the flowers.
  • Remove the flower debris and other plant material from the bag, and transfer the seeds to an airtight container.
  • Label the container with the date and variety of basil, and store it in a cool, dry place until you're ready to plant the seeds.
When planting basil seeds, it's important to keep in mind that they have a relatively short shelf life. For best results, it's recommended to plant the seeds within 1-2 years of harvesting them. To ensure germination, soak the seeds in warm water for a few hours before planting, and plant them in well-draining soil in a warm, sunny location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Remove the flower debris and other plant material from the bag,
This can be a tricky bit, taking out the big stalks is okay but separating tiny seeds from broken up flower debris is tiresome. I don't usually bother too much, the debris helps to spread the fine seed when you sow, I have never bothered soaking the seed either, I suppose they might germinate better, but I get so many seeds even if germination rates are low I still have plenty of plants.

Ask a Question