Basil turning yellow and dying from bottom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. This is my second time trying to grow basil. I’m in Southern California.

My basil is on my balcony and gets about 5 hours of sunlight, temps from 60-80 F. All of plants started off lush and green the first month. Just one month or so in with about 6-8 leaves per plant, the lower leaves started turning yellow, then brown, and falling off. Then they all just withered away.

I watered every several days if the top of the soil was dry and had it in a container. Do you think it was root rot? Im having so much trouble growing basil.

Attached a photo before it went bad to see my set up. (I dont have one of them dying)
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 814E7EAB-38E4-4E77-B806-40C623497C76.jpeg
    814E7EAB-38E4-4E77-B806-40C623497C76.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I cannot tell from the pictures how deep the soil is as it needs a minimum of 6 inches. It also appears that the plants are suffering from nutrient deficiencies. What are you feeding them and how often?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, basil likes it wet, and it is easy to wash the nutrients out. They say water it in the morning rather than the evening too.

Ask a Question