Seeds saving and organizing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey friends,
I organized my saved seeds in this wooden box. what do u think of this way of storage?
I am just new in gardening. Thx.
BTW, How do you store seeds? And what are you care most when saving seeds?

Attachments

• Dingtalk_20230520112307.jpg
    Dingtalk_20230520112307.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 8

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I store all my seeds in an old mini-fridge from college days. Good use of it and keeps seeds great.

It also is very handy for a cold beer after working in the garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I keep mine in either the paper envelopes that they come in or small plastic zip bags the same size as the seed rack envelopes. Then all of these are stored in a modern plastic ammo can - Plano brand fieldbox. The ammo can is about perfect size for seed packs and nearly water proof for the occasions when you forget about it in the garden overnight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I wonder if a vacuum sealer would help or hurt viability? I actually threw out some okra seeds once.
Gut feel I say no. Seeds do need oxygen to survive. Even the likes of the giant seed banks in the arctic will open the seed containers and mix them on a few year rotation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I make seed packets from notebook paper, put my seeds in it and then put it in a sealed ziplock back with as little air as possible and then into the freezer they go. Interesting note about requiring oxygen. They get opened a couple times a year and haven't noticed anything negative yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I make seed packets from notebook paper, put my seeds in it and then put it in a sealed ziplock back with as little air as possible and then into the freezer they go. Interesting note about requiring oxygen. They get opened a couple times a year and haven't noticed anything negative yet.
ziplock bags are not impermiable but they do cut down on a lot / most of the air permiation.

Opening the bag yearly is enough.

But vac sealing the seeds and leaving them for years will cause them to die faster than not vac sealing.

Ask a Question