Saving Tomato Seeds

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been part of the team that's bringing the Manx Marvel Tomato back from the edge of extinction.

It was bred as a variety that could be grown outside in the upredictable weather of the Isle of Man, in the middle of the Irish Sea.

Between a group of growers we started off with 3 seeds each, it's taken us 2 years to get to this stage, this is part of my seed crop for this year :)

Scouped out the seed and put them in a jar to ferment, with a little water and yeast. This will break down the growth inhibitors that the tomato produces and make it easier to clean the seed.

Need to give it a shake at least once a day

More to follow at the next stage on Sunday :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Been part of the team that's bringing the Manx Marvel Tomato back from the edge of extinction.

It was bred as a variety that could be grown outside in the upredictable weather of the Isle of Man, in the middle of the Irish Sea.

Between a group of growers we started off with 3 seeds each, it's taken us 2 years to get to this stage, this is part of my seed crop for this year :)

Scouped out the seed and put them in a jar to ferment, with a little water and yeast. This will break down the growth inhibitors that the tomato produces and make it easier to clean the seed.

Need to give it a shake at least once a day

More to follow at the next stage on Sunday :)
I just wish that more people would do this. Years ago I had no idea that the best of the vegetables would become extinct all because some so-called scientist had a "better idea". And now they are gone.

Reaction score
I'm so glad people like you, Zigs, are bringing back heirloom crops from the edge of extinction.
When I started saving seeds I was surprised to learn the extra steps needed for tomato seeds.

Those tomatoes look fantastic, Zigs. How is the flavor?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
This is great! It's sad that more and more heirloom crops and just other vegetable varieties are nearing extinction. I wish you good luck in your endeavors!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Need to test the seeds in Texas, Zigs? ;)

Pm me your address :D

I'm so glad people like you, Zigs, are bringing back heirloom crops from the edge of extinction.
When I started saving seeds I was surprised to learn the extra steps needed for tomato seeds.

Those tomatoes look fantastic, Zigs. How is the flavor?

They're lovely, quite sweet. We were a little concerned during the seed increasing operation, some of us were reporting them as bland, but it seems that was just the early pickings, once they're fully mature they're fine :)

Been doing the same with the Bridgwater Bean, another old variety.

Something odd going on here though, last years seed were all brown (the ones in the plastic bag) This years have come out speckled and purple :confused:

Some pods have both :)

Reaction score
That is odd. Have you been able to find any explanation for this? Is the Bridgewater bean an Heirloom seed?

I would suspect squirrels of digging up the seeds and moving them around, but you said some pods had both.

One year, I was gardening only in containers, and the squirrels were digging up the seeds in one container and replanting them in another planter. BUT they didn't bother to move the labels. It was an interesting growing season to say the least.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is odd. Have you been able to find any explanation for this? Is the Bridgewater bean an Heirloom seed?

I would suspect squirrels of digging up the seeds and moving them around, but you said some pods had both.

One year, I was gardening only in containers, and the squirrels were digging up the seeds in one container and replanting them in another planter. BUT they didn't bother to move the labels. It was an interesting growing season to say the least.
Probably a little cross pollination going on

Reaction score
I have been reading up on saving seeds. I really wish I had more time to do this, but I know it takes time and practice to get it done, and I don't have either at the moment :(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry everyone, ran out of data allowance so not been on much.

Results of saving the tomato seeds...

Washed the seed off after 4 days, could have done with a bit longer fermentation.

Then spread out to dry in the sun.

They were mostly stuck together so had to separate them by hand.

DSCN0499.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't think about the birds :eek:

I expect they tried a few but didn't like em :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

No idea, they certainly weren't near any other type of bean.
They are a heritage variety, sent to me because I lived near Bridgwater (where they were originally bred) my a member from Scotland :)

Ask a Question