Seeds Turned To Mush

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Need some help regarding my green beans. We bought a pack of Roma II Bush Beans from Gurney's to try. I also bought my old favorite type of bush beans from Lowes made by Ferry & Morse because I always have success with those. The Gurney's beans were white and the F&M were very dark brown with black flecks. Both were planted in same soil and watered equally. Today, the F&Ms started poking through and coming up. They look really healthy where the Gurney's haven't done squat. So, me and Hubby dug down to see why and found that the Gurney's white seeds turned to mush! That's indicative of a fungus or over-watering, right? I'm not sure why this happened other than they're different seeds/types with different needs. Maybe the F&M have a better disease tolerance? Any other reasons this may have happened?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Did you water them in right after you planted them and how often did you water the beans?

If you had good moist soil to start with, then there's no reason to water the seeds in when you plant them.

If you had rain in the previous 7 days of when you planted, then you had enough moisture for the seeds to germinate.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I wonder if soil temps are a factor. The Romas require soil temps above 70 deg and nighttime temps never falling below 55 deg to germinate. The F&M are more tolerant of some lower temps.

Did you have some "low" temps during germination?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I wonder if soil temps are a factor. The Romas require soil temps above 70 deg and nighttime temps never falling below 55 deg to germinate. The F&M are more tolerant of some lower temps.

Did you have some "low" temps during germination?
Cold temperatures can result in poor germination for Roma beans. I have had beens not germinate because the soil got cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We did have some temps drop into the forties recently. That might be the culprit. Thanks!

Ask a Question