How deep to plant seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm starting my cantaloupe row and need to know how deep to plant the seeds. I'm mounding up about every 4 feet. Adding about four seeds each mound. , but how deep?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Much depends on the type of soil but a good rule of thumb is about 2 1/2 times the width of the seed. And in a cantaloupe that would be about 1/2 inch. It is better to plant too shallow than too deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I plant my onion seeds 6" deep. Well I did when I first started growing things. None of them came up. Hehe. It is kinda fun to look back on yourself at things and wonder what where you thinking.
I do that a lot!.

I don't even know what to plant when. I planted okra in early April. Nothing came up. Eggplants, cucumbers and watermelons all refused to grow, just died. I've planted those three times now and finally got some response from the sets. Just because they have them in little pots at Home depot doesn't mean it's time to plunk them in the cold cold ground.:oops::ROFLMAO::sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do that a lot!.

I don't even know what to plant when. I planted okra in early April. Nothing came up. Eggplants, cucumbers and watermelons all refused to grow, just died. I've planted those three times now and finally got some response from the sets. Just because they have them in little pots at Home depot doesn't mean it's time to plunk them in the cold cold ground.:oops::ROFLMAO::sneaky:
Why don't you purchase a soil thermometer? You cannot plant seeds by listening to the weatherman and a calender is only a good guess at best. For instance if you want to know when to plant watermelons just google when to plant watermelons and it will give you the best soil temperature. Go outside and stick the thermometer into the soil and if it isn't close to what google says don't plant yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have went to this site to study the weather patterns in more detail. You can go back in history and look at the last frost/freeze dates and also you can get an ideal of the avg soil temp which is about the same as the average air temp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do that a lot!.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I plant my onion seeds 6" deep. Well I did when I first started growing things. None of them came up. Hehe. It is kinda fun to look back on yourself at things and wonder what where you thinking.
My sons girlfriend decided she wanted to grow micro greens “ on her own without any help or input from me” so she could learn by trial and error.
Watching her pile several inches of seedling mix on the tiny seeds made my eye twitch.
Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have cantaloupe seeds started in a tray. I should have just dropped them on a mound and covered with a little potting mix, then watered well each morning. My son-in-law brought up a 5 gallon bucket of chicken poop :giggle: . I'll spread that out on each row and the cantaloupe mounds, see what happens.
How did the micro greens turn out? What are micro greens anyway?:cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have cantaloupe seeds started in a tray. I should have just dropped them on a mound and covered with a little potting mix, then watered well each morning. My son-in-law brought up a 5 gallon bucket of chicken poop :giggle: . I'll spread that out on each row and the cantaloupe mounds, see what happens.
How did the micro greens turn out? What are micro greens anyway?:cautious:
About a quarter of them came up since they were buried under a great mound of soil lol
Micro greens are just immature seedlings basically. At the cotyledon stage they are harvested before true leaves appear.
Very healthy on salads, sandwiches etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
About a quarter of them came up since they were buried under a great mound of soil lol
Micro greens are just immature seedlings basically. At the cotyledon stage they are harvested before true leaves appear.
Very healthy on salads, sandwiches etc.
Oh, sorry. I'm a meat n potatoes man. I'm certain micro greens are healthy and all that. I pick very young turnip greens for my breakfast many mornings though.

Ask a Question