Saving dying ponytail palm

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had this ponytail palm for more than 15 years. Recently he turned yellow and shrunk. While trying repotting it, I found its rules are all gone. But the base is not rotted. Can you still be saved and how?

Attachments

• 16455530970001025625574081003140.jpg
    16455530970001025625574081003140.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings welcome to the Forums.

It is good that you re-potted the plant.
Please explain the plant's current pot situation and environment.
Is the photo showing the plant before or after being re-potted?
Did you cut off the dead, rotting roots before re-potting?
Most importantly, does the pot and soil drain well?

Ponytail Plant (Beaucarnea recurvata), in the Butcher-broom family (Ruscaceae, or Nolinoideae, Asparagaceae), is tolerant of indirect light and bright shade, but consider gradually increasing the light for your plant. Its situation indoors far from a window may be insufficient light. The plant will likely grow better in a brighter situation.

Urn-shaped pots that become narrower above the base are a bad idea for plants. It can become impossible to re-pot them without damaging the plant's rootball. The narrowest part of a planting container should be the base.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings welcome to the Forums.

It is good that you re-potted the plant.
Please explain the plant's current pot situation and environment.
Is the photo showing the plant before or after being re-potted?
Did you cut off the dead, rotting roots before re-potting?
Most importantly, does the pot and soil drain well?

Ponytail Plant (Beaucarnea recurvata), in the Butcher-broom family (Ruscaceae, or Nolinoideae, Asparagaceae), is tolerant of indirect light and bright shade, but consider gradually increasing the light for your plant. Its situation indoors far from a window may be insufficient light. The plant will likely grow better in a brighter situation.

Urn-shaped pots that become narrower above the base are a bad idea for plants. It can become impossible to re-pot them without damaging the plant's rootball. The narrowest part of a planting container should be the base.
Hi, Marck,

Thanks for the reply. I ended up putting the plant back in the original pot, which I've been using for 15 years and it does not have drainage hole. The old soil did not drain well, but I mixed it with a better draining soil to make it better. The planned has been there for 15 years until my wife took over to water it, which I believe she watered too much. During the repotting, I found all the roots are gone. Only the base remains but it's not rotted.
The picture shows the current condition of the plant, which is in the foyer of the house with plenty of indirect lights.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is true that sometimes, with very careful watering, and luck, a plant needing good drainage can be kept alive in an undrained soil situation. Usually however, such luck runs out. Fifteen years is a remarkable run, but now that the plant's roots have been compromised, it would be best to switch over to a container with drainage holes. The plant can be watered in the sink and then put back in a saucer or cache pot after it has drained.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought this rooting hormone, hoping to grow the roots back. Do you think it will help?

Attachments

• 16455637559648348982601721093807.jpg
    16455637559648348982601721093807.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 14

Ask a Question