Saving a nearly dead fern with a few new sprouts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

I rescued a small fern from a local store recently which appeared quite crispy, brown, and dead, but I wanted to see if I could save it. To my delight, after giving it some filtered sun indoors, water and misting, and a bit of fern fertilizer I noticed a few small green sprouts poking through all the brown dead plant matter. I trimmed the dead bits back some, to get light to the sprouts a bit better. Sadly, a few of the sprouts have dried up and not made it, which has me panicking for the remaining few... so I wanted to reach out and ask for tips on caring for these lovely little fern sprouts in this delicate stage. I would love to save this little plant, so any fern pro-tips or indoor gardening wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

p.s.
Sorry for no photos of this, it has been VERY hard to photograph these itsy-bisty sprouts clearly. They are very small, bright green, and curled like you'd expect.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Ellen and well done for ''rescuing'' your fern. The dying back of the plant is a natural process, and the new shoots will unfurl soon. It is important to remember that your fern prefers to be in the shade, although it needs to see daylight. Water every couple of days. Good luck :)

Ask a Question