Sad umbrella plant at the office

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi all! We have an umbrella plant in front of a North-facing lobby window that has started to look a bit sad in comparison to another one in the room next to it. I wouldn't expect the conditions to be so different a few feet over, but maybe that's the case here. Owners want it replaced, so I'll be taking this guy home for rehab! Please take a look and let me know your thoughts on it's condition. I hope to get my hands on it soon. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20211008_080236.jpg
    20211008_080236.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Country
United States
After taking it home, I would examine the soil, roots and drainage conditions. Take the plant out of it's pot. This would be a good time to pot it up one size larger. Now place your Umbrella Plant (Heptapleurum actinophyllum, formerly Schefflera) in bright light, even some direct sun if you can manage it. Fall is a good time to adjust light levels upwards as the light will not be so intense. After all that, start it on its regular fertilizer regiment, as should be done with most container plants. Some people do cut back on Fertilizer in Winter, but I would give it one feeding now. Interior plants that are growing well in Winter can continue to be fed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi @Marck! I took it home and had a closer look. Aside from some dead branches, the stems seemed very sticky. Then I looked at some leaves and noticed the underside of many were covered in sap. It took that to finally take notice of the brown bumps. I'm 99% sure that what we had was scale. It seemed too infected to save, even via propagation. I did not want to risk the health of my other plants. So, it's been disposed of... So unfortunate, but it solves the mystery.

Ask a Question