Sad Magnolias...

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I’m having problems with my magnolias. I’ve lost 3 and fear losing a couple more if I don’t do something. I have the plants as a screen along the back fence behind a retaking wall made of reconstituted limestone. Some are thriving but some have died or are in the process. Recently fertilised with chook manure and mulched. Still no luck. Any advice greatly appreciated. Photos attached.

Attachments

• BD6541EB-EDA9-4F3F-9F32-238D9D8E2DD3.jpeg
    BD6541EB-EDA9-4F3F-9F32-238D9D8E2DD3.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 04FAA5AB-5C09-49DD-A6F1-A5BA7E125B6E.jpeg
    04FAA5AB-5C09-49DD-A6F1-A5BA7E125B6E.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 9B732F53-2D63-473F-8544-1AFB191F1451.jpeg
    9B732F53-2D63-473F-8544-1AFB191F1451.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 51
  • CA01E010-A0FC-4257-A435-AFD8D435C506.jpeg
    CA01E010-A0FC-4257-A435-AFD8D435C506.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 56
  • EF786AF2-068B-44C6-A44D-8CD65D70E939.jpeg
    EF786AF2-068B-44C6-A44D-8CD65D70E939.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How are they watered? Rain? Sprinklers? Drip? How often and long? Are they on the sunny side of the fence or the shady side? What is chook manure? Have you had a soil analysis done?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Most of the above questions especially about water. The tall narrow planter (and the plants roots being right up against the cement would be challenging to get enough water to the plants in a consistent fashion. Sunlight would definitely affect the amount of water the plants would need and how much their roots might heat up and the fencing for the foliage. Hopefully they are shaded by the tin fencing and not being cooked. Another challenge might be if there is cement on both sides. So monitoring water and heat will be your two chores for this planting.

Chicken manure for stressed plants is not recommended because of high nitrogen content.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Magnolias grow best in acidic soil, which is soil that has a pH level of 6.0 or below. Limestone will take the soil in the opposite direction and make it more alkaline. I would recommend either transplanting or monitor/amend the soil to compensate for high pH. These hardy trees can tolerate (to a certain point) both drought conditions and extended flooding, but grow best when the soil is kept consistently moist. I am not sure if the wall behind them will heat things up, make them need more water than otherwise and make the roots uncomfortable.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
How are they watered? Rain? Sprinklers? Drip? How often and long? Are they on the sunny side of the fence or the shady side? What is chook manure? Have you had a soil analysis done?
Hi thanks for the reply. Plants watered twice a week via sprinklers for 45mins a cycle. Plants are on the sunny side of the fence. “Chook“ is Aussie for Chicken manure no haven’t done a soils analysis. Interestingly, plants along the same bed are thriving.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Magnolias grow best in acidic soil, which is soil that has a pH level of 6.0 or below. Limestone will take the soil in the opposite direction and make it more alkaline. I would recommend either transplanting or monitor/amend the soil to compensate for high pH. These hardy trees can tolerate (to a certain point) both drought conditions and extended flooding, but grow best when the soil is kept consistently moist. I am not sure if the wall behind them will heat things up, make them need more water than otherwise and make the roots uncomfortable.
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t realise their acidic preference. How can I compensate this in the soil? And the ones that appear to have become sticks, are they able to be saved or is it too late?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t realise their acidic preference. How can I compensate this in the soil? And the ones that appear to have become sticks, are they able to be saved or is it too late?
Cheers Luis. Will check soil acidity. When is the best time to transplant them? And what would you recommend to replace them to provide a screening effect of the fence?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Most of the above questions especially about water. The tall narrow planter (and the plants roots being right up against the cement would be challenging to get enough water to the plants in a consistent fashion. Sunlight would definitely affect the amount of water the plants would need and how much their roots might heat up and the fencing for the foliage. Hopefully they are shaded by the tin fencing and not being cooked. Another challenge might be if there is cement on both sides. So monitoring water and heat will be your two chores for this planting.

Chicken manure for stressed plants is not recommended because of high nitrogen content.
Thanks for the info on chook manure. Didn’t realise that. What fertiliser would you recommend?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info on chook manure. Didn’t realise that. What fertiliser would you recommend?

My preferences are compost, worm castings, mulch and things like that for helping plants. I would check with your local nursery or garden organization for best time to transplant. Because of my temperate climate I transplant most of the year. Rhododendrons and camellias are transplanted after they bloom here. Magnolias fall and winter. Climate and location determine a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Because you have so many trees, it may not be practical to transplant. I would try to acidify the soil instead on a continuous regular basis per the amendmend product label directions. But note that I said that they grow best in acidic soil and not that they do not grow in less acidic or alkaline soil. They can tolerate some alkalinity with the use of organic compost. For example, they are commonly sold near me and our soils are normally alkaline, about pH 7.6.

Deciduous magnolias are best transplanted in the fall but saucer magnolia can be transplanted almost any time. Remember, however, that some root pruning is usually recommended well in advance of transplanting. For example: if transplanting a magnolia tree in the fall, root pruning must be done the previous spring.

Ask a Question