My tree looks sad, and I'm not sure why!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Major gardening rookie here, please help! :)

When we first moved into our home 4 years ago the tree was stunning and blossoming in early April. However the tree looks increasingly sad with each Spring since we moved in. I've attached three photos, one of which shows one of the thicker branches looking almost rusty.

There is small signs of buds appearing, but we pruned it 2 years ago and though we had some leaves last year, it spends most of the year looking very sad and neglected. I don't even know what kind of try it is, or how to treat it, whether I should try fertiliser. We're thinking about having a tree surgeon cut the thicker rear branches which are reaching into the hedge behind the tree. Welcome any thoughts suggestions on this too please :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210117_161035.jpg
    IMG_20210117_161035.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20210117_161023.jpg
    IMG_20210117_161023.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20210117_161016.jpg
    IMG_20210117_161016.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 78
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I'm new to gardening - how do I feed it and does this depend on the type of tree it is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the bark I would imagine it's either Prunus or Malus. Have you seen any fruit on it at all?

I think it's been too heavily pruned and may not recover from that. It's your choice whether you remove the branch that's in the hedge but I feel that will set the tree back even further. When you pruned the tree did you see any discolouration, dark or black rings in the centre of the branches? Were the leaves curling when they grew?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rather think this tree is too big for the place it has been planted. I agree that it is the''pruning'' that has spoiled it, and cutting it further will not help at all. The Lleylandii hedge there will be taking everything out of the soil - they are notorious for ruining the soil quality.
Maybe you would now be better off either leaving this tree alone to recover, or remove it altogether and choose something else that will remain much smaller.

Welcome to the forum anyway @cargoodrich - I`m sure your replies won`t always be seemingly negative, but we have to tell it as it is.
Now it is springtime it`s a good idea to make new garden plans. Usually the mistakes we make here turn out to be a good opportunity to make improvements and have a new start! :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's great advice thank you :) - the leaves from what I recall last year did appear curled, and we've never seen any fruit on it. We were contemplating removing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You're welcome. :)

Leaf curl and the diseased branch are probably the start of the tree's demise. I think, as you say, it would be better to remove it. If you intend planting another tree It's advisable to bring it much further away from the conifer hedge. As Tetter's has said they ruin the surrounding soil, being hungry and thirsty plants.

Ask a Question