Rubber Plant outside

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a rubber plant last summer and toward the end of summer, it suddenly started getting brown spots. I thought it might be due to the direct sunlight, so I pulled it to where it would have indirect light. However, the brown spots just keep coming... I've tried watering more frequently, or watering less. I'm worried it might have some kind of disease. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How long was it in direct sun? How long has it been in the shade?

What kind of soil is it planted in?

I had one given to me by a neighbor, I didn't really want it, but I took it and read a little up on them and noticed they don't like direct sunlight, so I planted it under my Live Oak tree. And since this is Florida and my natural soil is extremely sandy (I live one mile from the beach); however, I've been heavily mulching my soil (with leaves from other people's yards) for a few years, so it's very high in organic matter, which rubber plants like, from what I've read -- it actually started growing very well, which surprised me, because it had spent so much time in a small pot.

If your soil is very sandy, then that may be the problem, but if it's not, then it might be an issue of over-watering; as I understand it, they don't need much watering, but they do like the soil moist (but not very wet and soggy). There may also be an issue with humidity. If you live in an area where it's kind of windy and there's not much humidity, then that can cause problems for them -- they like some humidity, probably not an issue for you, unless you live directly near the beach.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How long was it in direct sun? How long has it been in the shade?

What kind of soil is it planted in?

I had one given to me by a neighbor, I didn't really want it, but I took it and read a little up on them and noticed they don't like direct sunlight, so I planted it under my Live Oak tree. And since this is Florida and my natural soil is extremely sandy (I live one mile from the beach); however, I've been heavily mulching my soil (with leaves from other people's yards) for a few years, so it's very high in organic matter, which rubber plants like, from what I've read -- it actually started growing very well, which surprised me, because it had spent so much time in a small pot.

If your soil is very sandy, then that may be the problem, but if it's not, then it might be an issue of over-watering; as I understand it, they don't need much watering, but they do like the soil moist (but not very wet and soggy). There may also be an issue with humidity. If you live in an area where it's kind of windy and there's not much humidity, then that can cause problems for them -- they like some humidity, probably not an issue for you, unless you live directly near the beach.
Thank you for sharing the information. I own a rubber plant too. I have read an article about rubber plants before buying one. The leaves had brown spots during initial days. Later, I changed the position of the pot and kept in a shielded sunny area. Within few days, the plant restored its original color and since then it has been blossoming day-by-day.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm, it is in a pot, in a generic gardening soil..I can't recall which kind specifically.

It was getting full sun, so when it started getting the brown spots, I moved it to partial sun for a few weeks, and eventually moved it to indirect sunlight when the spots kept coming.

I know that I've tried watering it 1-2x/ week vs watering once every week and a half or so. The soil often feels very dry, especially during hotter months. This has been going on for a few months now though, so I'm having trouble keeping track of when I made what changes! I should probably start a little journal if I have to make changes for a plant!

Maybe I should put it under a larger plant to protect it from the sun a little, and try mulching it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I can't speak too much on potted plants and how often to change out the soil, since I don't do container gardening. However, on the other issues, I would definitely move it to the shade of another plant and not in direct sunlight, especially not direct afternoon sun.

As for the soil moisture, how deep are you checking for soil moisture? It may be dry on the top of the soil, but most likely it's moist further down, if so hold off on watering. My plant was planted in the ground and I never watered it and never had problems.

Two of the most common causes of brown spots on the rubber tree is too much sun and too much water.

Sounds like you got it out of the sun, so maybe you need to reduce watering. Hopefully someone will chime in on the issue of caring for the soil of a potted plant, because I'm clueless on that issue.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a good point! I probably only check the first inch or two of soil.

Thanks for your help! I'm looking forward to seeing a happy plant soon!

Ask a Question