Umbrella Plant and Rubber Tree Help

Reaction score
Hi all, let me preface this by telling you I'm new to this. I was given a couple of houseplants, one is a Rubber Tree and the other is an Umbrella Plant. It's my understanding that neither of these plants do well in direct sunlight, so I've been keeping them on a covered front patio for a few weeks. The temperature has been between between 45 and 75. I water about once a week, usually whenever the soil is dry at 3in or so. Also, both of these plants were pruned pretty aggressively by the previous owners before they were given to me.
The new growth on the Umbrealla Plant is turning black and leaves are falling off. Other than cutting back watering this plant, is there anything else I can do to help it bounce back?
The lower leaves on the Rubber Tree are turning red, I read that this is usally due to too much sunlight. I have moved the plant inside at this point. Again, are there any further measures I can take to help this plant rebound?

photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
When the leaves turn black on an umbrella plant it is a sign that you are watering it too much. The swing in temps where you keep it don't help it either. Let it dry out some before you water it again and give it a diluted solution of fertilizer the next time you do water it. Scefflera likes bright indirect light and not direct sunlight and will keep its shape better when pruned regularly. I would recommend a you get a few books on houseplants and read up.

Ask a Question