Rose Issues

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I hope everybody is well and safe. I rooted some rose cuttings about a year or so and I cant seem to keep them healthy! After a little research, I found that I had a fungal infection. The leaves of my rose cuttings will turn yellow and then fall off. I've been treating them with copper fungicide but that doesn't seem to be doing much for me. I am very much a newbie to gardening so I apologize if my questions are obvious and silly but I am certainly learning as I go! Any tips and advice on caring for roses would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1614449761560.jpg
    IMG_1614449761560.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210807_103042.jpg
    20210807_103042.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210806_073709.jpg
    20210806_073709.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 38
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is nothing obvious or silly about your question @Nadi. You have done well to root your rose cuttings. I think it would be best to put your new plant outside straight into the garden soil, and keep them damp but not overwatered. They may be running out of nutrition, and a feed with slow release fertiliser might help. Osmocote is a good one.
No need to panic though, these are pretty tough. They should be fine and will appreciate some sunshine and space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You may find phosphite based fungicide useful. They are systemic and useful even on food crops, so that is pretty safe. There are systemic fungicides for roses that are popular but I would not know what is available where you are located, only that they are common and easy to search if you use the term "systemic". I find the 3 in 1 products convenient.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Nadi I had another thought about your cuttings. If you have taken the material from a rose that has previously been grafted, this is something that is likely to happen. As your cuttings mature, you will probably find that they gain strength as they go. I'm not at all sure that this is a fungal problem. I would concentrate on feeding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Nadi I had another thought about your cuttings. If you have taken the material from a rose that has previously been grafted, this is something that is likely to happen. As your cuttings mature, you will probably find that they gain strength as they go. I'm not at all sure that this is a fungal problem. I would concentrate on feeding.
Thank you for all of the advice! All of my personal plants are potted because I dont have a property of my own yet so putting it in ground isn't an option for me :( I've fed all of my other plants but just recently fed the roses a little, so they are definitely under fed now that you've mentioned that! Thank you so much! I'll focus on feeding them more.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You may find phosphite based fungicide useful. They are systemic and useful even on food crops, so that is pretty safe. There are systemic fungicides for roses that are popular but I would not know what is available where you are located, only that they are common and easy to search if you use the term "systemic". I find the 3 in 1 products convenient.
Safe for food crops as well?! I'll definitely be on the hunt for this fungicide. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Agri Phos is one brand. Black spot and other spots are listed. I originally found it related to my interest in sudden oak tree death but the more I read the label the more interesting and useful it became for me here in the hot, humid southeast.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agri Phos is one brand. Black spot and other spots are listed. I originally found it related to my interest in sudden oak tree death but the more I read the label the more interesting and useful it became for me here in the hot, humid southeast.
I just found some on Amazon! Thank you! It's going to be very useful to me :)

Ask a Question