Rose leave issues - See picture

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Garden Friends!!
Question for my rose expert’s. Does anyone know what this means on my rose leaves and a possible solution to fix? Not all the leaves look like this, just a few. I think I caught it early. Any help would be appreciated.
BC66F1A2-8AF7-4015-BC38-7B98E4171000.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it is rose slug damage which is the damage caused by Sawfly larvae.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought the sawfly eats leaves from underneath leaving a ''see through'' pattern Chuck, those leaves appear to be quite solid :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought the sawfly eats leaves from underneath leaving a ''see through'' pattern Chuck, those leaves appear to be quite solid :unsure:
You're correct, they do, but it appear to me that they have. I think this is fairly fresh damage and it hasn't dried enough for the see through effect. But, after seeing the other pictures of the leaves at the bottom of the plant I am inclined to say that the rose is indeed suffering from Rose Mosaic. However, on the latest set of pictures, the first picture show white spots on the bottom of the leaf which leads me to believe the plant has both Mosaic and rose grubs. The grubs are an easy fix with Safer Soap but the Mosaic is a different matter. I don't think there is a cure although I have seen gardeners use 2 parts hydrogen peroxide to 1 part water with mixed results. I would try the peroxide but if that doesn't do much there is nothing left to do except destroy the plant AFAIK.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If it is Mosaic virus, it often only seems to affect part of the plant, and I think it`s possible that these plants may show more flowers in the future, although there is no cure. It depends really how these roses perform as to whether or not to destroy them.
It would be great if it was only insect damage. Time will tell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it is Mosaic virus, it often only seems to affect part of the plant, and I think it`s possible that these plants may show more flowers in the future, although there is no cure. It depends really how these roses perform as to whether or not to destroy them.
It would be great if it was only insect damage. Time will tell.
Good advise. Rose Mosaic isn't spread by insects and doesn't live in the soil so nothing else should be affected. However, I would have some words for the person he got the plant from as it is spread by the grafting process and using infected plants. I would still spray with insecticidal soap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought it was virus as it seems to affect just certain parts of the plants. It is, I believe, virus that causes variegation on some shrubs, and often this variegation is used to propagate the resulting ''sports'' and thus a new variety is produced.
I helped to propagate a like sport from a Chaenomeles when I was at the nursery once and learned a bit about it then. Sometimes these variegations revert too quickly back to green and are no good to register a new plant.
This bit of experience made me think that there may be no reason to discard these plants altogether.

Whatever eventuates, I wish you @MangoMae20 good luck with this, and would be most interested if you could keep us posted about the roses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
IMO. All valid replies. No disrespects, but it could be this or it could be that. Please excuse my style of writing. This is me. Roses are perhaps my forte. However whatever plant, damaged leaves are best removed and burned. Do not compost. Please remenber that there are so many chemicals on the market, all claiming to be the best. The leaves of any plant are it's first defense. Any damage/blemish, by the time we see it, the damage is done. Nothing will restore that, those leaves. In practice. Once affected leaves have been removed. The some chemical action may prove of value, in helping to protect and prevent further attacks of whatever.

Not wishing to be critical but, the rose seems to be lacking support. This will allow the whole plant to move at ground level. Such will also make it easier for bacteria and viruses to get to the roots. Once supported, then perhaps a soil treatment wouldn't go amiss. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I think it is the rose mosaic virus. Unfortunately, after the attic blast that hit us here in Texas, most my plants died. As soon as I put it back outside it seems to have gotten sick. Sad, because it was blooming the best it ever has. Thanks again for all the replies.

Ask a Question