Small brown leaves on rose plant and dying flowers

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Hi guys
I picked up a pot of roses from our near by store and after a fee weeks the roses started to stop growing and the leaves even the small onces started to turn brown around the edges. I saw a few posts online about the varoius reason but could not decide . Please help me out with this . Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 469

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!! :)

How often do you water it? Did you deadhead the flowers, or let them die off naturally? Is it root-bound? It looks like there are white patches on some of the leaves, could you post a picture of one of those, please? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I agree with @MaryMary . In addition, these white spots look like white spots on your jasmine. Perhaps it is some kind of fungus on the leaves.
Here roses often discard leaves after purchase. But we have a reason - a change in conditions for the plant.
The store buys plants from a flower base. The flower base maintains a low temperature. If I buy a plant on a flower base (it's cheaper), I dress a warm sweater. Rose does not like a sharp change in conditions. But perhaps in your country it is different. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums sebey07. :)

Roses are both hungry and thirsty plants. Can you tell us the size of the pot it's planted in please? I suspect it needs a bigger pot, new/more soil and possibly feeding. Roses should also be watered at the base of the plant avoiding leaf contact.

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Welcome to the forum!! :)

How often do you water it? Did you deadhead the flowers, or let them die off naturally? Is it root-bound? It looks like there are white patches on some of the leaves, could you post a picture of one of those, please? :)

The white patches seems like dirt as there was rain couple of days back. I did wipe out the dirt from the leave of the jasmine and it looks a lot better now but here the leaves seems to drying up. And i had re-potted the plant a few days after i bought it. But do u guys think i should change the pot again ??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 345
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Your rose is a little over crowded with stems and should have a more open shape, this will let air circulate and help keep disease at bay. The diagram below explains how to prune when the rose is dormant, please ignore the 'click to print' tab. In cooler countries January to March is the ideal time but I can't help with pruning times in the UAE, sorry. Even though your rose seems to be in full growth I would be inclined to take out a couple of the centre canes now, it won't harm the plant.

upload_2017-3-20_20-23-55.png

The white patches on the leaves could be mildew, this is a sign of either poor air circulation through the plant or possibly watering from above with the exception of rain. Although, in hotter climates the combination of rain and heat could create the humidity to cause mildew.

Can you tell us the size of the pot the rose is currently in please.

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Your rose is a little over crowded with stems and should have a more open shape, this will let air circulate and help keep disease at bay. The diagram below explains how to prune when the rose is dormant, please ignore the 'click to print' tab. In cooler countries January to March is the ideal time but I can't help with pruning times in the UAE, sorry. Even though your rose seems to be in full growth I would be inclined to take out a couple of the centre canes now, it won't harm the plant.

View attachment 17540

The white patches on the leaves could be mildew, this is a sign of either poor air circulation through the plant or possibly watering from above with the exception of rain. Although, in hotter climates the combination of rain and heat could create the humidity to cause mildew.

Can you tell us the size of the pot the rose is currently in please.
Thank you so much for the post. I managed to clear out the leaves and stems from the center and pot is 10" in diameter. As its getting hotter outside i have kept the plant inside the house were its much cooler and by the window. Should i change the pot ??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Has the rose still got access to sunshine now you have moved it indoors? They really need six hours a day or more to flourish. A ten inch pot is much to small for a full shrub rose, something the size of a half barrel would be best, allowing it to spread it's roots.

Roses are demanding plants particularly when they are grown in pots. They will need watering more often and that in turn will wash nutrients from the soil, so will need feeding regularly too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
That's was a really congested Rose I'm with Sheal I'd Guess It's been Grown under intense artificial light & probably A high nitrogen feed to produce so much leaf then encouraged to bloom in mass. She did needs thinning out to get some air & good shape. Plants are often grown for a quick sale, like caged hens:( little care for the long term Health of the plant just in for the big buck:rolleyes: ...... but now she is with you & pruned I'm sure it will be blooming lovely in know time:)

Last edited:

Ask a Question