Rosemary is shedding leaves?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, I asked my mom to pick me up a rosemary plant and she got this very nice one at lowes. It came in one of those biodegradable pots. I put it in a container and left it there for a couple of days, my problem was, the biodegradable pot was hard to plant with and It caused the plant to become sort of slanted, it wasn't centred and there was allot of air pockets in the container I planted it in. I took it out and carefully tore off the biodegradable pot and planted it, there was no open space and it wasn't slanted. For the past week I've noticed that allot of its lower leaves are turning brown and falling off. I would like some insight on why this is happening. My guess is transplant shock, I might have tore off a few roots. I water it generously, and I mist it with water twice twice a day. The soil drys pretty quickly so I don't think its root rot. Any Idea's on how I could fix this?

Thanks
-pablo

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Transplant shock (especially when moved from a "biodegradable" pot) is likely, and there is no way to transplant without losing a few roots, so don't feel badly about that.
I think your rosemary is too wet--. I water it generously, and I mist it with water twice twice a day. Rosemary is a Mediterranean plant, naturally occurring in dry, poor soil. Let it dry out, and when the soil is dry up to the length of your thumb, water it thoroughly and let it drain. Good drainage is essential for rosemary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a Rosemary and i live in a semi-desert. I have NEVER watered it. It is about 20 years old now and a small bush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Transplant shock (especially when moved from a "biodegradable" pot) is likely, and there is no way to transplant without losing a few roots, so don't feel badly about that.
I think your rosemary is too wet--. I water it generously, and I mist it with water twice twice a day. Rosemary is a Mediterranean plant, naturally occurring in dry, poor soil. Let it dry out, and when the soil is dry up to the length of your thumb, water it thoroughly and let it drain. Good drainage is essential for rosemary.

Thanks for that wealth of information! For a few years now, I've been debating if I should expand on the herbs, I grow. I never knew that they naturally occurred in dry soil and it sounds like they really wouldn't need a lot of care.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
atlmom5, the herbs that came to us originally from the Mediterranean area generally do well in unfertilized, well-drained soil and don't enjoy overwatering. Other herbs like damp (mint) and need a bit of fertilizer when they are harvested heavily (parsley).
Herbs are like people--they have different needs. However, I find that communing with herbs is much more satisfying than communing with people!

Ask a Question