Miniature rose bush losing leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi! :) I recently bought a miniature rose bush on the 3rd of April. And it hasn't been doing well the last week. First the leaves started to dry up then fall off, then I watered it enough for water to come out the drainage holes and now the leaves are turning yellow. More than half the leaves have fallen off since I've had it :( it looks so sad now. Any suggestions on what I can do for it? I was really excited to get a mini rose bush. Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Do the leaves have black spots on them? If so, you have a fungus that is common to roses called (you guessed it!) Black Spot. It can be prevented by applying a systemic fungicide and making sure there is good air circulation. If the rose is infected, you can halt the progression of the disease by using a milk spray at least once a week. In a spray bottle mix 90% water, and 10% milk, shake and spray. The type of milk doesn't matter, low-fat, no-fat, whole milk, even dried milk. The rose leaves will look shinier after spraying, and may have tiny white dots from the milk, but only if you look really closely.
Your rose has been in its new home for about 10 days. It may be undergoing climate shock. If you bought it at a nursery and it had been in a greenhouse, the change in temperature and humidity can really scare a rose.
I hope your rose recovers, but don't give up on having a rose--we have all bought sick plants, mishandled plants, and sometimes have to face up to the fact that this plant just didn't have the will to live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear that :( where abouts do you have it and what are the conditions like there (eg indoors, outdoors, sunny, shaded etc)? Also do you know the variety?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do the leaves have black spots on them? If so, you have a fungus that is common to roses called (you guessed it!) Black Spot. It can be prevented by applying a systemic fungicide and making sure there is good air circulation. If the rose is infected, you can halt the progression of the disease by using a milk spray at least once a week. In a spray bottle mix 90% water, and 10% milk, shake and spray. The type of milk doesn't matter, low-fat, no-fat, whole milk, even dried milk. The rose leaves will look shinier after spraying, and may have tiny white dots from the milk, but only if you look really closely.
Your rose has been in its new home for about 10 days. It may be undergoing climate shock. If you bought it at a nursery and it had been in a greenhouse, the change in temperature and humidity can really scare a rose.
I hope your rose recovers, but don't give up on having a rose--we have all bought sick plants, mishandled plants, and sometimes have to face up to the fact that this plant just didn't have the will to live.
There's no black spots. :(

Sorry to hear that :( where abouts do you have it and what are the conditions like there (eg indoors, outdoors, sunny, shaded etc)? Also do you know the variety?
I had it in an east facing window until yesterday. Yesterday morning I moved it to a south facing window. Its generally around 60 degrees F in the house. Its indoors and sunny. Rosier miniature? That's all the tag says...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Same happened to a rose that I received in March.
When its leaves started turning yellow, I transplanted it to a new pot, watered it and put it in the coldest place in my house. It's doing fine now:)
Remove all dead leaves and stems. If moving your rose to a different window doesn't help, transplant it and change the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Same happened to a rose that I received in March.
When its leaves started turning yellow, I transplanted it to a new pot, watered it and put it in the coldest place in my house. It's doing fine now:)
Remove all dead leaves and stems. If moving your rose to a different window doesn't help, transplant it and change the soil.
How long should I wait until I repot it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'd repot it now, I wouldn't wait any longer. To be honest, you really have nothing to lose. Even if it doesn't do any good, it can't do any harm.
I saved some of my miniature roses by changing their soil and transplanting them to new pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'd repot it now, I wouldn't wait any longer. To be honest, you really have nothing to lose. Even if it doesn't do any good, it can't do any harm.
I saved some of my miniature roses by changing their soil and transplanting them to new pots.
Its getting quite a bit of new regrowth :) its looking a lot better. I also bought two new ones today... I think I have a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm so happy to hear it!:D What are the colors of your new roses? I'm addicted to buying miniature roses too:love: They're beautiful little plants, aren't they?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got a yellow one and red one! They're both in about 1" pots I think? Should I repot them soon do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I always repot all new roses right after buying them, because the free pots that you get with every plant are poor quality and they're often too small.
Yellow and red are lovely colors!:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My son bought me a miniature rose plant in the pot two years ago, and I love it so much that I kept it inside for the entire year. When it doesn't produce any roses, I took it outside and planted in the garden. Needless to say, it started to give me beautiful orange roses throughout the summer and is doing well.

IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My son bought me a miniature rose plant in the pot two years ago, and I love it so much that I kept it inside for the entire year. When it doesn't produce any roses, I took it outside and planted in the garden. Needless to say, it started to give me beautiful orange roses throughout the summer and is doing well.

View attachment 5312 View attachment 5313
They're beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a beautiful rose, IcyBC!:D Thank you for posting these lovely pictures. Yellow and orange roses put me in a good mood, because they always look so cheerful. I have one too.

Ask a Question