Best soil for miniature roses?

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been thinking of growing some miniature roses for a while now, but I'm not sure what kind of soil would be the best for them. Does anyone here have any kind of experience with this kind of roses? Are the other questions I should be asking as well? I'd really appreciate it if you could shed some light on this, I'm quite a newie and could use some good advice :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I grow 12 miniature roses:D . I love them, they're my favorite plants:D . I planted them in a regular soil and they look very healthy, so I'm pretty sure that they don't need anything special.
But there are two important things that you need to remember:
- miniature roses like to be pruned often
- they go dormant during winter, so you'll have to move the pot to a colder place (5-10c would be perfect).
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Reaction score
Hi Claudine! Thanks for the very detailed answer :) I'll use regular soil as you suggested, and I'll make sure to prune them often enough :) Btw, where did you get your miniature roses from? Do they come in a very big variety of colors?

Those useful tips you give me will come in handy :D I had no idea I needed to move the pot to a colder spot during winter, I think they will be easier to take care of than those annoying african violets :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
All my roses were gifts from my boyfriend, but I'm pretty sure that he bought them in a supermarket, at least some of them. He gave me another one today, so tommorow I'll post some pictures of it:D . I have a few red roses, two pink ones, two white ones, one two colored rose and one that produces yellow flowers. They're all my dear treasures! I'm obsessed with miniature roses:D
What colors do you want to have?:)

Reaction score
All my roses were gifts from my boyfriend, but I'm pretty sure that he bought them in a supermarket, at least some of them. He gave me another one today, so tommorow I'll post some pictures of it:D . I have a few red roses, two pink ones, two white ones, one two colored rose and one that produces yellow flowers. They're all my dear treasures! I'm obsessed with miniature roses:D
What colors do you want to have?:)

So far I only have two miniature roses :( One of them produces red flowers & the another one produces yellow ones :) I'd love to get: pink (pale), white and fucsia. Have you seen orange ones? So far I haven't been able to find them over here :( My mom used to cultivate orange roses (the big ones), that's why this color has been one of my favorite ones :) Not sure if miniature roses can be found in that colour tho, but I'm sure you could tell me :)

That's very romantic of him! Giving you roses very often :) Do you try to root all the roses he gives you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
So far I only have two miniature roses :( One of them produces red flowers & the another one produces yellow ones :) I'd love to get: pink (pale), white and fucsia. Have you seen orange ones? So far I haven't been able to find them over here :( My mom used to cultivate orange roses (the big ones), that's why this color has been one of my favorite ones :) Not sure if miniature roses can be found in that colour tho, but I'm sure you could tell me :)

That's very romantic of him! Giving you roses very often :) Do you try to root all the roses he gives you?

My newest miniature rose produces orange flowers, although it's a very delicate shade of orange, not bright at all. Unfortunately, the plant lost all its flowers and most of its leaves, so for now I can't take any pictures of it. If it survives, I definitely will.
And yes, whenever I get a cut rose, I try to root it:D
Can you post some pictures of your roses? I'm sure that they're beautiful!:)

Reaction score
Ow, what happened to your plant? It's such a shame it has lost all of its flowers and leaves :( I'm sure it was a beautiful plant, hopely it will survive. I'll try to post some pictures of my roses soon :) You know? Before I got into miniature roses, I used to take a lot pictures of my other plants (some years ago), but lately I don't feel like a photograper anymore :( I'd like to get into taking pictures of my plants and flowers again, hopely very soon (once I get a WAY better camera).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not sure what happened to it, it started losing its leaves after I had transplanted it:( It's heartbreaking because it was such a beautiful rose when I got it:(
I love taking pictures of my plants. This way I can see how fast they grow:D I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your roses:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Make you tea in a teapot. Give your roses the roses your leftovers.
Roses like slight acidity, and their favourite form is the tannins in tea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, I didn't know about it!:) I have a few questions. Should I just water my roses with cold tea, or maybe it will be better if I mix tea with water? Is regular, black tea okay?

Ask a Question