Don Juan climbing roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bare-root Don Juan roses planted this spring in Happy Frog in very large containers - plants look great and are really spreading but not a bud in sight!

Will they produce roses the first year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Don Juan roses are repeat flowering. Although we buy a rose and plant it. That doesn't mean, it's the plant's first year. Most plants are at least two years old at the time of marketing.

A few points to consider. Buying what are called, bare root roses. These are plants that have been field grown since being grafted (budded) they can be 2-3 yrs old if not more. The roots are often woody and will require soaking in water prior to planting.

Plants bought as container grown. These have been field grown and later potted up. Evidence might suggest that they have flowered. However time must be allowed for the roots, albeit perhaps good at the time of pottin, but now time is needed for the roots to bond with the potting compost.

Unfortunately so many gardeners have this notion about feeding plants. In the case of feeding, it is important to understand what the feed actually does. NPK are the guidlines. N=nitrogen. This will provide the plant with nitrogen, which in turn promotes greener an rich foliage. P=phospherous. This build strong roots. K=potash. This is the chemical for producing flowers and fruits. So the lack of potash could be a contributing factor. Siting of the plant can also be a factor. Without doubt, one of the best fertilizers is stable manure, but the choice is individual. I have three roses in my collection. Wendy Cussons. Super Star and Pride of Scotland. I have forgotten how old they are. None of them has ever yet flowered. May I suggest. You cut back your plants. Give them a really good mulch of manure and see what happens. Best wishes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
My climbing rose I was told wouldn't bloom this year. I bought it as a stick, as I just wanted to try something different. I gave it, as mentioned above, the NPK. Right now it is having multiple blooms and I couldnt be happier. It is not that big either about 1.5 ft tall with a 2ft spread. It is in a pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The roses were a gift - I did not soak the roots, I just planted them in Happy Frog and watered them - 30-days later they started growing. They appear healthy and have really surprised me how much they have grown. They are next to a wire-fence and have been tied to the fence to support the very long stems. Aside from not producing roses yet, they look great!

They are climbing roses - I read David Austin's notes on pruning and tying off. I do not think one should prune this climbing rose back based on what I read but I could be wrong?

They get fed every 2-weeks on rotation

a. Dr. Earth Flower Girl 3-9-4
b. Espoma Rose Tone 4-3-2, and
c. Medina Hasta Grow plant 6-12-6

Today, they got Dr. Earth. 2-weeks ago they got Medina Hasta Grow. etc. etc...

That is all I know. I just have no idea if I should expect blooms the first year of growth at my place, or not.

Ask a Question