Donkey tail losing leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
My donkey tail is getting new growth at the tips of the stems but losing leaves at the bottoms. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your responses.
9F329152-1D3A-4038-B1CE-84716DC4AEFF.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
In my humble opinion, no. The leaves just easily break off. I toss them back into the planter to start new plants, and fill in the top. I usually trim off bare stems (often sliding my finger along the stem and popping the leaves into a new pot. It’s one reason I have too many houseplants). The real trick for me is to find a place to hang them so they are not touched or bumped and to be careful when watering. Beautiful plant by the way. It obviously has a perfect location.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my humble opinion, no. The leaves just easily break off. I toss them back into the planter to start new plants, and fill in the top. I usually trim off bare stems (often sliding my finger along the stem and popping the leaves into a new pot. It’s one reason I have too many houseplants). The real trick for me is to find a place to hang them so they are not touched or bumped and to be careful when watering. Beautiful plant by the way. It obviously has a perfect location.

Thank you, Jewell, for your reply but they are not being bumped and falling off. They are drying and falling off. I don’t know if I am watering too much or not enough. Thoughts?
Thank you. It is a lovely plant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I can’t really give accurate advice without checking the soil. Because the leaf drop is at the middle of the stem and not the top I wouldn’t initially guess watering problems. I am hearing that they are drying and then falling off...you might try watering a little more between making sure the soil is moist not wet. Root rot on this sedum happens easily but they do prefper a more consistent light moisture. I always try to let mine dry between watering, but maybe you’ve let yours go a little too long in the dry cycle. This is just a guess, so please continue to listen to your plant more than any guesses I make.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much. I will try watering more frequently but not as heavily. Thank you so much. You might be interested in knowing, this plant was originally given to me by my son when he was in the fourth grade. I’m not saying this is the same root system, but it is certainly a descendent, as it is in the original pot I planted it in 55 years ago. Until I moved to the Pacific Northwest it was hanging in a tree in my Souhern California garden, now, since the move and it is an indoor plant, I am trying to keep it alive.
Thanks again for your advice.
Carol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That is super cool you have had the same linage of plant for so long. Am sure the enviromental conditions are totally different and quite a challenging in the PNW. Am sure you will continue to have the plant for many more years. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is super cool you have had the same linage of plant for so long. Am sure the enviromental conditions are totally different and quite a challenging in the PNW. Am sure you will continue to have the plant for many more years. (y)
Thanks. I sure hope so.

Ask a Question