My roses have cancer!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would anyone know what could be causing this and what I should do about it? First image is Don Juan climbing rose and second image is Double Knock-out. Just started showing this over the last week or so. I am pretty sure it isn't cancer but I thought I'd try to liven this place up a bit!
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I am aware. Rose Cancer has nothing to do with roses. Actually it refers to breast cancer.
With respects. You title your thread. My Roses have cancer. Then in the text, you admit you don't consider it to be cancer. Then you thought you'd liven this site up. Most confusing. Especially for a PEASANT.

Your roses, as with most other plants has simply decided to drop some of their leaves. Simply pick them off and burn.

Does this place need livening up???????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Smile a little, Mike - the peasant comment was not intended to offend you (or anyone) - it was sarcasm to illustrate a point. I'll try to be a little more stoic going forward, but I cannot guarantee it...

Thank you for your help.

I once created a post here titled I Hate Texas (there were evil extra-terrestrial creatures living inside some hot peppers - I am a total novice gardener but, I like to have fun) - to my fantastic surprise, someone was actually offended by it. I grew up in NYC - when someone says they hate NY, I just laugh. ;)

Yes, people need to lighten up, in my humble yet perfect, never incorrect, opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
People already respect me and clear a path when I walk.

Are you in disagreement with Mr. Allen's diagnosis?

I've been contemplating a fungicide that works on everything as a preventative, as opposed to waiting for a problem and then reacting, but I haven't settled on a product yet. I have a copper based product being delivered today on the chance that my roses have fungi...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The problem with medicines is they are so specific. We have suffered sudden oak death and shot hole borers which cultivate fusarium by feeding it tree sap. My roses get black spot. I use Clearys 3336 F (flowable) for the black spot. I used it on a cypress that was showing fungal stress. It took a couple years of spraying, and heavy concentration for the tree. It seems ok now. The black spot clears up in the new growth on the roses. It lasted a long time, as in a year. I need to spray them again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Using my best cryptographic skills - you disagree with Mr. Allen and you believe my roses may have black spot?
It does not look like black spot to me. But I am not very good at roses so to say it was just dropping old leaves or it was a watering thing is risky.

Crappy wet weather has fungi popping up everywhere over here. I kinda took a double take when I found out UK banned the copper for fear of soil toxicity buildup. But its in a pot. You can kill it with betadine too. 30-45mL to a gallon of water. It does not hang around though, and washes away with rain.

Here is the 3336 label

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
My roses get the same thing, I think that the leaves are getting old and will fall off but I would take them off. I don't use anything on mine, mine get black spot but they recover from it, just clear the leaves when they fall off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
May I make a professional point. There is no cure for Rose Black Spot. Removal of affected foliage is the ultimate. Actually the leaves act as a protection, so if and when leaves show signs of trouble. Remove them. The use of fungicides will not cure ailing foliage. However such use can help to protect against infection

Ask a Question