Roses of Sharon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Hi, I want to line the one side of yard with Roses of sharon. I was reading today they can be invasive? I dont have much time to continously prune them or trim then down to keep them from multiplying. The garden nursery had no idea what I was talking about lol.

Arethey really invasive?? If not. How far should I plant them away from the fence?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I have several of them...and really love them. IMO, they are not "hyper invasive"...only "mildly invasive" and easily controlled.

You don't say where it will be located...but I'm in East Texas in zone 8b and they thrive here in our heat and humidity. Although they are naturally a multi-stemmed shrub, they can be trained through pruning to have just one main trunk. For a shrub, they will spread 6 to 10 ft. I prune mine annually, once a year, in late winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Like Meadowlark, we too are in Texas, central Texas though. We have Roses of Sharon, and really enjoy them. They do well in part shade, aren't overly thirsty, and are very reliable plants. We haven't found them to be invasive at all, but they are pretty easy to propagate from cuttings.
If you want a hedge effect, plant the Roses about 6' apart. If you want specimen plants, about 12' apart. Be sure to leave enough space for you to get all around the shrub to prune.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Hate that word ---invasive. But, anyway, I have two lines of them, have them for now 20 years. they flank the sides of a path that goes to a garden area. What they do is drop some seeds, among the original plants ( I am saying some seeds) and Some seeds might make babies, if they survive, they just grow up straight and make the area denser. They do keep in the same location, in other words I don't find them 5 feet away, or even 3 feet away from the original planting of the adults. We do little with them to be honest. We have tried to tie the sides together at the top to encourage a archway. There is a horse farm I drive past sometime, they have a long row of them planted against a fence, I have seen them only just prune down about 2 foot from the top of them all to keep them even. I am sure baby seeds drop there to just make it more dense. I would not call them invasive at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Thank you everyone! I decided to get just one lol. I have a part in the front of the yard I can out it and it will be by itself growing into one big beautiful one as it decides to drop seeds.

I am going to line the yard with knockout roses instead lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you everyone! I decided to get just one lol. I have a part in the front of the yard I can out it and it will be by itself growing into one big beautiful one as it decides to drop seeds.

I am going to line the yard with knockout roses instead lol.
You will prune the knockout roses far more often that the rose of sharon. I have both. This goes for fertilizer as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Thats ok if I have too. It looked so beautiful in pictures lined up as a hedge along a fence line. The roses of sharon I bought will go out front. It is technically my first bday gift from my 8 month daughter and holds something special in my heart now. Lol

Ask a Question