Roses of Sharon not growing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Hi! I planted 2 roses of Sharon about a month ago. One of them has nearly doubled in size already and the other is still the same size from the nursery pot.

The one that is growing is a pink chiffon, and the other not growing is blue angel. The blue angel is still putting out flowers now, and maybe I shouldn't be concerned. The pink chiffon I read grows quicker than the others and I wonder if Google is correct on that? The other thing I want to note, the pink chiffon is getting more water because the sprinkler gets it with the new sod I put down. But they are about 4-5 feet apart from each other. Both sit in full sun all day. Both were fertilized about 2 weeks ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Thank you! I will give it the same amount the other one gets from the sprinkler. I gave it a little fertilizer as well. Today the new blooms appear to be bigger, I have hope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
When you bought the pink chiffon and the blue angel, were they both the same age and the same height?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Yes. Same height. The pink chiffon is just taking off. The blue angel is not. I have a feeling it is how I planted it. I am going to dig it out and move it closer to the line. I read the blue angel looks leggy and I can see it here in this pic.

Attachments

• 20210719_100931.jpg
    20210719_100931.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you tell us the proper name of this plant please? ''rose of sharon ''is a common name that could be one of many :unsure:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the photo. Your plants are botanically known as Hibiscus syriacus. They are hardy and shrubby plants and widely grown here in the UK.
I wonder what your weather conditions have been there where you live @Sabina515 ? As these are relatively small, it would normally take some time for them to establish, but if your weather has been unduly hot and dry, like it is here at the moment, they would be a bit slower than usual. Both of them are flowering like crazy, and the plants have to put all their energy into producing those flowers - they cannot find the energy to grow taller as well, (a bit like a hard up young mum with six kids - put all the work into the kids and neglect yourself) ;)
Feeding and watering in the cool of the day will definitely help - regularly that is. If you want to help them along a bit more, cut off all the flowers this year, and they will get stronger for next year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just for interest this is Hypericum calycinum also commonly called ''rose of sharon'' and just one example of why the Latin names for plants are so important.

1626849624443.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Now I am worried. She is not doing well at all. Aphids and Japanese Beatles attacked. Like many other flowers in my garden. I went with my gut feeling and decided to dig her out and the roots are week, half broke off. Didn't look rotted, just week. I moved her right up to the grass line and used a top soil from the garden nursery all around the root ball and top. I do see some small buds forming and I am hopeful, but not flowering like she used too. Anything you recommend I can try to help save my roses of sharon? Many leaves are gone and I have to cut some others off.

Ask a Question