Rose disease?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
New gardener.....have had 2 roses bushes for 4 years, one white, one red..not sure the type, have recently treated them with neem oil for saw flies that I get every year....although this is my first year doing anything but picking off the worms... the worms seam to be gone now, and it gets 10 or so blooms but it seam to have other issues ? Any ideas how to treat it back to health?

Attachments

• 20160710_124734.jpg
    20160710_124734.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 20160710_124743.jpg
    20160710_124743.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 20160710_124753.jpg
    20160710_124753.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 310
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In the picture showing the rose, in the background it shows you are infested with white fly. Have you checked the underside of the leaves for other insects? White fly is hard to control because of their life cycle but if you spray with neem on both sides of the leaves every 5 days you will get them under control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
In the picture showing the rose, in the background it shows you are infested with white fly. Have you checked the underside of the leaves for other insects? White fly is hard to control because of their life cycle but if you spray with neem on both sides of the leaves every 5 days you will get them under control.
Very interesting, I dont see what you mean, but I will look further. Do I mix the neem oil with anything? I was mixing neem with dish soap and clove oil, would it be the same? And after each rain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very interesting, I dont see what you mean, but I will look further. Do I mix the neem oil with anything? I was mixing neem with dish soap and clove oil, would it be the same? And after each rain?
, You mix neem @2oz per gallon of water with a squirt of dish soap. Never heard of using clove oil but why not? The neem won't wash off unless it rains heavily
Magnify the picture and you can see some of them clearly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
, You mix neem @2oz per gallon of water with a squirt of dish soap. Never heard of using clove oil but why not? The neem won't wash off unless it rains heavily
Magnify the picture and you can see some of them clearly.
Thank you, can I spray clematis with this mixture, something is eating it as well?
Can I do anything to the soil so they don't come back year after year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, can I spray clematis with this mixture, something is eating it as well?
Can I do anything to the soil so they don't come back year after year?
You can but I don't think insects are what is eating your clematis. It looks more like caterpillar damage to me and neem doesn't work on caterpillars very well. Bt is what to use for them or spinosad if you have it there. Using spinosad as a soil drench normally will eliminate most soil born pests but I don't know if it will interrupt the white fly reproduction cycle or not. Wouldn't hurt to try though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can but I don't think insects are what is eating your clematis. It looks more like caterpillar damage to me and neem doesn't work on caterpillars very well. Bt is what to use for them or spinosad if you have it there. Using spinosad as a soil drench normally will eliminate most soil born pests but I don't know if it will interrupt the white fly reproduction cycle or not. Wouldn't hurt to try though
Been doing a little research on saw fly. They aren't common here but do show up on occasion. Their larvae look like caterpillars but aren't. Bt will not kill them but insecticidal soaps and spinosad will .
http://www.sactorose.org/ipm/84rosesawflies.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Been doing a little research on saw fly. They aren't common here but do show up on occasion. Their larvae look like caterpillars but aren't. Bt will not kill them but insecticidal soaps and spinosad will .
http://www.sactorose.org/ipm/84rosesawflies.htm
OK, sprayed them with the neem oil today, Picked off the caterpillars as I see them, but they can be tiny...I will check into the Spinosad tomorrow...I've never seen anything on the clematis...maybe earwigs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, sprayed them with the neem oil today, Picked off the caterpillars as I see them, but they can be tiny...I will check into the Spinosad tomorrow...I've never seen anything on the clematis...maybe earwigs?
Earwigs are possible but doubtful. Their favorite food is decaying organic matter. Anyway, get spinosad even if you have to order it online. It will take care of everything, caterpillars,saw fly larvae, insects and white fly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Earwigs are possible but doubtful. Their favorite food is decaying organic matter. Anyway, get spinosad even if you have to order it online. It will take care of everything, caterpillars,saw fly larvae, insects and white fly
Thank you for all your advice

Ask a Question