918282d.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Could be! Bourbon is the name and I think @marlingardener might help.

That's the trouble with floribunda and mult petal beauties. Too heavy and they collapse onto the ground en masse!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Its difficult to say from the photo, but my suspicion is that its not a Bourbon rose. I have several varieties in that group in my garden, and their habit is quite different. I think (stressing the word think!) that it is a modern rose, possibly a Poulsen rose called Bering Renaissance. On my screen it certainly looks like that one.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Roses have been hybridised so much that it's hard to tell. But it's certainly has French rose as one of its main parents.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Carol Klein has a wonderful series called odyssey on Iris, waterlily, rose and ?? She was talking about dog roses, roses from China and roses from France and of course, there are always some geneticists playing god! :eek::D

I sometimes want to play that as well. Actually, I followed Carol and messed about my hellebores and I harvested the hand-pollinated seeds. Due to poor labelling and lack of discipline, have no idea who the donors are. I still have some seeds from that process.

Of course, flowers with multi-petals are said to "sacrifice their progeny ".. I wonder if all multi-petals flowers have no viable seeds. I must have made myself a laughing stock selling seeds whilst posting multi-petals flowers.. or what they call double flowers! I do remember germination from Mambo - a double dahlia!

Ah, I am out of my depth, as always! :LOL:

Ask a Question