root rot on a desert rose

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
My root system is destroyed.:( It was my first attempt to grow a dessert rose. I made an erroneous green horn mistake and did not check the soil in the pot. It was dry on top but not below. My glass is always half full so the upside is I learned a lot.

Please take note to the picture I have attached. My stems, about 6 of them, are not in great view but are tall and not affected. I edited the photo to show some roots that are growing. Can I replant with a slim chance these roots will take to save some stems?
OR
Can I cut the hardy stems and replant them like an Hydrangea?

I excited to join your community and hopefully post some positive results to help with others new like myself with growing a dessert rose!

Attachments

• desert rose.jpg
    desert rose.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 1,385
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the club nutgrass;) sorry about that desert rose (Adenium) you have Nothing to lose By taking Cuttings & then sitting the rest of the old plant on a dry sandy mix & see if you can encourage it into re-rooting. Ive Never owned or tried to grow one of these So I can only Suggest what id do if I did knowing the little I do about them. Id plant the Cuttings in a sandy mix & keep close to bone dry (y) . Make them fight to find water rather than rot.

Ask a Question