Brazilian Pepper ?ROOTS?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello;
My neighbor has a beautiful old Brazilian Pepper tree close to lot line. On my side there is a row of what I would call volunteers which have been allowed to grow for several years. I want t get rid of them - OK with neighbor. Plan is to kill with RoundUP and then cut down.
QUESTION - Are these from seeds or could they be root connected to neighbor's tree? If connected, I probably don't want to kill with RoundUP - correct?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello;
My neighbor has a beautiful old Brazilian Pepper tree close to lot line. On my side there is a row of what I would call volunteers which have been allowed to grow for several years. I want t get rid of them - OK with neighbor. Plan is to kill with RoundUP and then cut down.
QUESTION - Are these from seeds or could they be root connected to neighbor's tree? If connected, I probably don't want to kill with RoundUP - correct?
Thanks!
They possibly could be connected to the mother tree but are probably from seed. These are nasty, very invasive plants that are taking over Florida. They should all be exterminated. In fact the state is trying to exterminate them and have passed laws forbidding them.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I would guess they are from the roots. Whenever those trees are cut down, hundreds of new trees pop up. Also when the roots are ground up hundreds pop up. Horrible trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
And I was READING that often the seeds are sold as red peppercorns.. Guess I have had them because I have bought a mixture of colors of peppercorns. I have had red green and black and even cream color ones.
WHO'D A THUNK?????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The sap that oozes out when these are cut can be an irritant to skin when it makes contact. It is nowhere near the level of poison ivy (at least not for me) but precautions should be taken when working around these. Birds eat the red berries but can’t digest the seeds so when they relieve themselves the seed is intact and ready to germinate. This is why you can find them sprouting even in the best of landscapes.

Ask a Question