Maple tree root rot

Reaction score
Country
United States
The attached picture is the trunk of my maple. I believe it to be root rot since the center of the trunk of the tree was virtually none existent after the storm blew the tree down.

I have two other maples one is quite large and does not seem to be struggling. The other planted at the same time is 4 times smaller.

How do I determine if they one and both may have root rot?

Is root rot cureable?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 437
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Could be Phytophthora, but difficult to say. Is there any way you can improve the drainage there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Drainage was what I was thinking also. Seems like that much damage is way beyond curing. It reminds me of a few trees I cut down in my yard, same kind of damage, but in my case it was insect damage, but they ate directly thru the core of the tree. No big loss, since these were Asian Paper Mulberry trees and didn't add to my little habitat area. Now my trees are all native.

Before the storm knocked down the tree, was there any visible sign of damage to the tree? If there were no visible signs, than you probably need to bring in a tree expert to determine the health; actually, regardless, probably best to bring in a tree expert. If they are as rotten as the one above, I doubt very seriously that that would be curable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I am not sure, still try to look for cavity near the trunk, or try to white wash (lime paint) the trunk to prevent fungus and insects from damaging the the plant.

In a way it will look nice with white color as well as attract birds (beneficial for tree), it will also seal off the crack on trunk if any present.
IMG_0004.JPG

Ask a Question