Rose Blooms

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I grew roses in my last garden which had sandy soil and was challenging. Roses are hungry and thirsty plants so if you can give them a good mulch of well rotted horse manure at the start of the season that would be a bonus. If that isn't available then chicken manure pellets or blood, fish and bone are good alternatives.

Although they need watering more because of the sandy soil I only fed mine three times a year. In Spring as they started to leaf up (manure at that time if possible), again in late May and then late July with other fertiliser. No later as they need to start settling down for autumn/winter dormancy. I also mulched with home produced compost twice a year. Of course this may be slightly different in your area. On that note it would be helpful please if you put your State in your avatar box for future reference, it will give members an idea on what climate you're growing in. :)

My own experience suggests roses need three seasons to mature properly and develop strong flowers and stems, so I wouldn't worry to much about the size of the blooms at this point.

Floribunda rose 'Lucky!' Lilac/pink in colour and perfumed.

View attachment 23109

Very beautiful and bountiful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We planted several new roses last fall, and this is one of our favorites:
stump rose.jpg

She is so pretty, and blooms a lot, even with our summer heat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
After searching the catalog of the nursery I purchased the rose from, I came up with it's name! Now if everyone who wants to know will send me $5, I'll spill the beans:ROFLMAO:.
The rose is "Delightful Phyllis." I don't know who Phyllis is, but she must be a beautiful lady to have this rose named for her.

Ask a Question