Rose Blooms

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi all I have a ques. about my rose blooms, my first of the year blooms seem to be much larger than the rest of the summer, I was thinking maybe I am not feeding them enough, also I have sandy soil and thought maybe I am leaching out the nutrients with my watering?
any thoughts would be great Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Tim, is this the first year with them? I planted mine in March and thought the same thing but was told to be patient. What kind of roses? Are they getting enough water? I've heard different thought about fertilizing them so I was patient and made sure they were getting watered. They seem to go through cycles... Or at least mine do but they are new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Galway Bay (Climber) :)

Galway Bay.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I grew roses in my last garden which had sandy soil and was challenging. Roses are hungry and thirsty plants so if you can give them a good mulch of well rotted horse manure at the start of the season that would be a bonus. If that isn't available then chicken manure pellets or blood, fish and bone are good alternatives.

Although they need watering more because of the sandy soil I only fed mine three times a year. In Spring as they started to leaf up (manure at that time if possible), again in late May and then late July with other fertiliser. No later as they need to start settling down for autumn/winter dormancy. I also mulched with home produced compost twice a year. Of course this may be slightly different in your area. On that note it would be helpful please if you put your State in your avatar box for future reference, it will give members an idea on what climate you're growing in. :)

My own experience suggests roses need three seasons to mature properly and develop strong flowers and stems, so I wouldn't worry to much about the size of the blooms at this point.

Floribunda rose 'Lucky!' Lilac/pink in colour and perfumed.

Rose 'Lucky!' (3).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I top dress all my roses with composted cow manure 3 or 4 times during the growing season, in the fall I add a little bone meal or bone char if I have it on hand.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My roses are in various stages of growth anywhere from 1 to 10yrs, I started using bayer 3-1 systemic fertilizer insect and disease control it has been great for disease control

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely rose BigC. (y)
Thanks....it used to reside at the far end of the garden in dappled semi shade...I wanted it to cover part of a fence as it is a climber....but it never really took off down there....This year I repotted, fertilised it and fed it a little manure and moved it into full sun....what a difference, it's never been like this before....It is really nice, there's a lot to be said for planting our charges in the correct sunlight and soil conditions....we cant expect them to flourish where the dont like to be...this rose is testament to that.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Nassau: Annual Weather Averages. July is the hottest month in Nassau with an average temperature of 28°C (82°F) and the coldest is January at 21°C (70°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 10 in August. The wettest month is July with an average of 220mm of rain.
Country
Bahamas
Hello, it is so good to meet you. roses are really amazing with all of its beauty. Thanks for commenting and have a good day.

Ask a Question