Is there a rose that blooms all year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is there a rose that blooms all year or do they have to go to sleep every once in a while? My mom has five rose plants in her yard and for the most part of the year they look like dead sticks protuding from the ground. Can the plants be taken inside and let them bloom all year long?

Reaction score
Karen, I am sure this could be done if you have temperature control and lighting control. My friend in Canada is experimenting with this at the moment. He just reported back to me saying all the leaves are intact but there are no new buds coming up at the moment. I will let you know how his experiment goes.
My friend's ( where I live) roses bloom all year through.. but the weather here is bearable in winter.. never gets too cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I know this is an old thread, but plants generally require dormant periods. If you live in a mild climate you could see blooms for longer than most who experience real winter, but unless your mom was growing miniature roses, those bushes are best left outside to go through their natural cycle.

@claudine, do your miniatures bloom year round? What about you @Tommyotommy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No. As far as I know, all roses need to go dormant in winter, otherwise they die.
I always move my miniatures to the coldest room in my house around November, when their leaves turn yellow.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always thought a plant need a dormant time to sleep and get ready for their growing time.

Reaction score
Although a lot does depend on location - climatic conditions as well as the type of of rose - yes there are ever-bloom or continuous bloom roses that will bloom for 12 months of the year - providing that they get plenty of sun, water and regular fertilizer and in particular hybrid tea roses - as there are many varieties that are known to bloom year round when grown in hardiness zones 5 to 9.

In fact even though I live in an area that is somewhere between zones 8 and 9 and we do often experience winters where the temperatures can drop to around somewhere between -12C to -15C - the majority of my roses flower continuously throughout the year without a break :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
In fact even though I live in an area that is somewhere between zones 8 and 9 and we do often experience winters where the temperatures can drop to around somewhere between -12C to -15C - the majority of my roses flower continuously throughout the year without a break :)

That's interesting, @gata montes. I have never paid attention to if or when roses stop blooming here. The winters are not that harsh and the few times it has snowed, I've noticed it settling on plants like camelias, but I don't recall noticing what was happening with roses.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No. As far as I know, all roses need to go dormant in winter, otherwise they die.
I always move my miniatures to the coldest room in my house around November, when their leaves turn yellow.
Although a lot does depend on location - climatic conditions as well as the type of of rose - yes there are ever-bloom or continuous bloom roses that will bloom for 12 months of the year - providing that they get plenty of sun, water and regular fertilizer and in particular hybrid tea roses - as there are many varieties that are known to bloom year round when grown in hardiness zones 5 to 9.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The antique rose, Duchess does bloom all year, has large pink blooms, makes a very big bush and never needs to be pruned. This rose came from China to England and in 1851 was brought to USA by a rose loving relative of min. Cuttings root easily in late winter or early spring. I use the potato method and usually have very good success

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I believe rose like a dorment stage...My "A whiter shade of pale" hybrid which doesn't get diseases....flowers early and carries on till November when it finally finished and is a delight 24 petal rose and the scent is beautiful in the summer and stands at a nice height of 4ft.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Nathaniel, I think your rose was a root stock, not meant to flower but to provide a hardy root system for a weaker but beautiful grafted rose. Many modern roses are grafted, and the old roses, which were very sturdy, are used as the root. Did your roses have a "bump" about two inches above the soil level? If so, they were grafted, and root stock is my best guess.

Ask a Question