Root stock sprouts

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We keep getting sprouts on the root stock, below the graft, on our pear and apple trees. I keep them trimmed off, but was hoping there is a way of preventing the sprouts.
I don't mind trimming, but am afraid that the sprouts are stealing energy from the desirable part of the trees.
Can anyone help, please?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Shouldn't be doing that, had you recently pruned them?

Only thing I can think of is to put a light excluding band round it, that could double as a grease band to stop bugs crawling up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, we hadn't pruned until the new buds showed up about two weeks ago. These trees, as I should have mentioned, are three or four years old. I'll try the band. We do have bugs (a few!) in Texas, so the bands may be of more help than I expected! Thank you!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I looked around a bit but didn't see anything other then some chemical (which may not be available anymore and wasn't really for usuable fruit trees). I did see a mention that if you break them off when they first show it may in effect kill the bud they started from (as opposed to trimming) , also I think I saw white cardboard as a band.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Zigs, we hadn't pruned until the new buds showed up about two weeks ago. These trees, as I should have mentioned, are three or four years old. I'll try the band. We do have bugs (a few!) in Texas, so the bands may be of more help than I expected! Thank you!!!

Might help, just couldn't think of anything else :)

Ask a Question