Recycling used potting soil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
New Orleans will still be warm in December, @Shellyann36. Usually things are somewhat cooler by the first week of November, but you can be wearing a sweater on Saturday and Sweating it out again on Sunday. Drives me nuts sometimes! Real winter doesn't set in until January.

Reaction score
New Orleans will still be warm in December, @Shellyann36. Usually things are somewhat cooler by the first week of November, but you can be wearing a sweater on Saturday and Sweating it out again on Sunday. Drives me nuts sometimes! Real winter doesn't set in until January.

NC use to be like this too but we are getting colder sooner now. January is still a very cold month but it is also starting as early as December these days. They say we will have a rough winter this year. I am a bit worried.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am a bit concerned about what winter will bring as well. I've never even picked up a copy of the Farmer's Almanac, but everyone has been talking about taht forecast since it came out. No one ever wants to hear the words bitter and cold in the same sentence. I don't even want to think about it.

Reaction score
I have always dumped it in the compost pile since we have such sandy soil. It's also been over 100 the last couple weeks and nothing survives too long out there (including me!)

Reaction score
I am a bit concerned about what winter will bring as well. I've never even picked up a copy of the Farmer's Almanac, but everyone has been talking about taht forecast since it came out. No one ever wants to hear the words bitter and cold in the same sentence. I don't even want to think about it.

Yes indeed it is a bit of a scare for us folks here in the south! I told hubby just yesterday that we really need to think more along the lines of alternative heat and stocking up something for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes indeed it is a bit of a scare for us folks here in the south! I told hubby just yesterday that we really need to think more along the lines of alternative heat and stocking up something for it.

Alternative heat? Is that because you might face outages or do you just want to go greener? What's your average temperature during winter? I haven't even begun to think about what it will mean for the garden. I've had to pull back on some of my yard activity recently. Don't know when I'll get everything caught up.

Reaction score
Alternative heat? Is that because you might face outages or do you just want to go greener? What's your average temperature during winter? I haven't even begun to think about what it will mean for the garden. I've had to pull back on some of my yard activity recently. Don't know when I'll get everything caught up.

In the winter it can go below freezing. Normally this will happen in late December thru February. We can get outages. We don't really have snow all that often (if we are lucky we will have it once a year) but we do have sleet and ice on the roads a bit. Normally this will lead to power outages when the light poles/lines either get too much ice on them and break or someone has an accident and takes the poles out. I would like the alternative heat for power outages as well as to cut back on our electric bills.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
In the winter it can go below freezing. Normally this will happen in late December thru February. We can get outages. We don't really have snow all that often (if we are lucky we will have it once a year) but we do have sleet and ice on the roads a bit. Normally this will lead to power outages when the light poles/lines either get too much ice on them and break or someone has an accident and takes the poles out. I would like the alternative heat for power outages as well as to cut back on our electric bills.

We're more likely to have those kinds of issues during hurricane season. The winds will sometimes bring trees down on power lines causing outages. I'd like to have a generator or some kind of portable power, though this year we have been very lucky with the storm season.

Reaction score
We're more likely to have those kinds of issues during hurricane season. The winds will sometimes bring trees down on power lines causing outages. I'd like to have a generator or some kind of portable power, though this year we have been very lucky with the storm season.

Oh now we do have a bad hurricane season as well. We just started ours and its possible we might see some this year. Back in 2011 my sister and her family lost everything they had when a hurricane spawned tornadoes. They were fortunate to make it out alive, banged up but alive. I would love to have a generator but that will just have to go on my list of wants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh now we do have a bad hurricane season as well. We just started ours and its possible we might see some this year. Back in 2011 my sister and her family lost everything they had when a hurricane spawned tornadoes. They were fortunate to make it out alive, banged up but alive. I would love to have a generator but that will just have to go on my list of wants.

Oh, wow! That must have been terrifying for your sister and her family. We had our first ever tornado two years after Katrina. The damage for most people was minimal, but at least one person I know of was seriously injured and another was killed. My aunt missed being injured by there being a mattress and box spring leaning against a long table in front the large window in our living room. She had been asleep on the couch; fortunately the box spring took most of the glass. It was crazy!

Reaction score
Oh, wow! That must have been terrifying for your sister and her family. We had our first ever tornado two years after Katrina. The damage for most people was minimal, but at least one person I know of was seriously injured and another was killed. My aunt missed being injured by there being a mattress and box spring leaning against a long table in front the large window in our living room. She had been asleep on the couch; fortunately the box spring took most of the glass. It was crazy!

Oh gosh yes, my sister, her bf and my 4 year old niece plus several of their friends were there at the time. They had just finished putting together one of those big swings for my niece. I think they had about 4 other people at their home besides them. Someone just happened to look outside at the right moment and see the funnel cloud. They all ran outside and got into a ditch. My sister and her bf were both hit with flying objects. She got a huge gash behind her ear and hurt her leg/ankle. He had a huge (got several staples) gash on his head from one ear all the way around almost to the other side. He had actually been shielding my niece at the time. My niece got hit with a flying remote control from somewhere. The key impressions bruised her head. They all had sand in their hair and it took literally weeks to get it out of my nieces hair. She was scared of running water for over a year after this happened. My sister and her bf are still scared of storms. My sister use to constantly watch the weather channel and she would call/text everyone in the family to let them know showers were looming. They would all drop whatever they were doing and head to a friend/family members house with a basement at the drop of a hat. They have stopped doing that now but it put them into near hysterics any time a storm would brew up for a while. They lost everything. They lived in a mobile home and the only thing left of it was the tongue of the frame and it was wedged into a huge oak tree. Their cars were totaled. The good thing is that they did find my sisters purse that had over $4000 from her income tax return inside of it. A neighbor found it on their property and gave it back to them. How fortunate is that?

I am very glad that your aunt was ok. Sounds like she just barely missed it.

Reaction score
We just empty the container,mix it with some new soil and fill if up.Usually organic manure is added.No problem or disease.Plants are not that fragile and can accommodate themselves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We just empty the container,mix it with some new soil and fill if up.Usually organic manure is added.No problem or disease.Plants are not that fragile and can accommodate themselves.

Khan, it depends on the health of the plant. One of the members on this forum has had trouble with garlic because of something that got into the soil from a previous crop. Had he been using containers it would be a lot easier to replace that soil rather than reuse it.

Oh gosh yes, my sister, her bf and my 4 year old niece plus several of their friends were there at the time....

I am very glad that your aunt was ok. Sounds like she just barely missed it.

Wow, that is amazing! I just can't imagine being in a situation like that and I am so glad we don't get tornadoes here normally. The hurricanes are bad enough without having to worry about a tornado coming behind them. Thankfully, this past weekend's storm never really developed into anything serious. Though the winds in the aftermath have been pretty strong. I still need to go outside and see what got blown around last night.

Reaction score
Khan, it depends on the health of the plant. One of the members on this forum has had trouble with garlic because of something that got into the soil from a previous crop. Had he been using containers it would be a lot easier to replace that soil rather than reuse it.

Wow, that is amazing! I just can't imagine being in a situation like that and I am so glad we don't get tornadoes here normally. The hurricanes are bad enough without having to worry about a tornado coming behind them. Thankfully, this past weekend's storm never really developed into anything serious. Though the winds in the aftermath have been pretty strong. I still need to go outside and see what got blown around last night.

Yes very scary situation indeed. They were really shook up and stayed that way for a year or more. They don't get as crazy now as they use to. I will take the hurricanes over tornadoes any day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I will take the hurricanes over tornadoes any day.

You and me both! I used to say the same thing about earthquakes in California; at least with a hurricane you have some warning and you can get out of the way of it if necessary. Hurricanes are destructive in their own way, but as long as there is no tidal surge or threat of an overflown river, you can more or less ride one out inside your home.

Ask a Question