Recycled newspaper pots

Reaction score
This is exactly how I make my pots every year for everything that I start ahead of time. It even works for things you normally don't start ahead of time because you do not have to disturb the roots at all.

I love recycling and getting things for free, especially when they are easier to use that something you have to pay for!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Newspapers are virtually free, and there are some actual free publications available, so that is one less thing you have to spend money on. I also love to use recyclable items whenever I can get away with it. I feel like I am doing my part to save the environmet when I do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Awesome! Thanks for the super useful tip! What a wonderful way to recycle! I will definitely try this in the future and will look forward to collect the cardboard tubes ;)

When you use the paperboard or even with cardboard, you need to loosen the bottom of the container with your fingers so it will break apart faster, or even cut into it - which many experts claim you should do with the root ball at transplant time anyway.

I've started cutting into the roots of severely rootbound starter plants I purchase at garden centers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That seems like a good idea and I bet the newspaper would breakdown much faster than the little cardboard starter pot that you buy at the store. Some of my plants have died before because the roots could not break free of the cardboard and the roots got squished. I am going to try the newspaper method this spring when I start planting again.

Newspaper is surprisingly sturdy. I like to use a double layer just to be sure the pots won't break apart before they should. When the paper is wet it will tear more easily; when transplanting I would recommend either opening the bottom of the paper pot or soaking it in water and slightly tearing at it so the roots can easily spread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is exactly how I make my pots every year for everything that I start ahead of time. It even works for things you normally don't start ahead of time because you do not have to disturb the roots at all.

I love recycling and getting things for free, especially when they are easier to use that something you have to pay for!

I am thinking of doubling them if I use them in the future. That way they will hold up longer and I could get the plants started early in the greenhouse. How far ahead of time do you start your early plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just stuck a couple of newspapers aside so that I can try this starter pot method next time I plant seeds. I do have a question though...will the pots stink when they start to breakdown. Sometimes paper starts to smell bad when it is wet for a while...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just stuck a couple of newspapers aside so that I can try this starter pot method next time I plant seeds. I do have a question though...will the pots stink when they start to breakdown. Sometimes paper starts to smell bad when it is wet for a while...

If wet paper starts to smell, it's likely there is bacteria or mildew on it. You don't smell anything when you wipe your hands on a paper towel, do you? As long as the newspaper isn't exposed to anything that would cause it to mildew it should smell like damp paper and soil.

Ask a Question