Recycled newspaper pots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
that is such a awesome idea, I like the paper pots and will try it for for my garden seedlings this spring. I hate the plastic pots, you have to find storage for all of them, then they sit around the yard after planting and blow and yard off my garden shelf and drive me nuts. This way there is not need to store pots and containera for seedlings and the young plants should roots very quicky thru pot !
Soon I will start my peppers, maybe even tomorrow! I love to fold paper and make things, so I will use this method for sure!

I love origami so these are right up my alley. So far I prefer the origami waste basket below to the paper pots from the link I posted before. I actually made my "basket" smaller by folding the newspaper sheet in half before beginning the origami. This made it thicker and a more appropriate size for a young plant.

321796335844285561_OPS1imQl_c.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell yes I did. She likes projects like that.

Here is the video where he talks about watering. I also saw a video where the person talks about putting vermiculite on the top of the dirt. It says it helps the little seedling push through vs dirt.

I like the idea of folding down the top of the paper pot to help hold its shape. I suppose if you never lift the pots they could keep their shape and not open at the bottom, but I would imagine you would have to get the water level just right in the pan for it to be absorbed completely and meet the specific needs of the plant.

I have used empty tp tubes and little paper cups, but I always water from the top. The seed and roots of a seedling are at the top and don't require as much water as a larger plant. Newspaper pots may be better suited to certain types of plants that sprout and grow quickly.

Reaction score
I have 14 made during lunch, the first one was not so good, but now they come out nice and I can whip them up in no time.

Jed

Reaction score
That origami seedling pot is another activity my wife can use in her primary school class. She also liked the pin wheels.
Things we learn from forums. Thanks ChanellG. :)

Reaction score
These look like a really good idea for small plants and seedlings.

For larger plants, you could make the newspaper into papier mache using a large pot as a template. Then, of course, when you are finished with them you could compost them.

Good thread, OP.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I made three origami ones and five round ones, it's fun:) . Now I have more pots than I need...which means I need more plants!:D

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing these pictures and tutorials. I'm inspired to try making my own seedling pots now. Last year I used those plastic seed starting trays from Walmart and they didn't give the seedlings much room, or last very long.
These look like they would just biodegrade and maybe you could plant the whole seedling, paper and all, in a bigger pot when the plant grows a little bigger.

Reaction score
I made the orgami pots, will be making them during lunch now until I have around 100, that will be a good start,

Jed

Reaction score
It so great sharing simple things can inspire us. I guess that why I enjoy this forum so much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It so great sharing simple things can inspire us. I guess that why I enjoy this forum so much.

Oh yes, I adore inspirational threads like this too. I've loved this forum ever since I saw here these beautiful decorations made from light bulbs:D You always can read something interesting here
I have 10 new paper pots:p

Reaction score
My Cousin is going to garden with me this year, she has no place for a garden and I have PLENTY so I invited her to join me. I am so looking forward to the combined effort, so since we will be planting more this year, looks like I need to make extra pots, maybe 150 or more, wow, I best get to work!!!

Ask a Question