Recycled a Greenhouse and Made Shade House

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I had a Shelter Logic 6x8 "Grow It" Greenhouse, it was ok. On year two the door zipper started to go, year 3 seams were going. As this was a second green house of sort and there is no summer green house need due to temperature I decided that I would turn it into a shade house. A shade house is something I could use in the summer.

I bought a bulk piece of 50% shade cloth, grommets and some bungee balls. II still wanted an edging and final found what is called polypropylene batten tape, it out there just hard to find by name. Oh and UV rated thread for sewing. All supplies were readily available on line, thread was local. So here is how it went. (y)

Wife helped fill the bobbin and did some of the pinning, but I sewed. Attaching the batten tape for edging.
ry%3D480

Next was the grommets
ry%3D480

Old cover on
ry%3D480

Old cover off
ry%3D480

New 1 piece "top" and "sides" to start
ry%3D480

Fit is looking good with bungee balls in place
ry%3D480

Looking good, fabric was very loose to sew, but turned out fine
ry%3D480

Built new tables, these only cost about $25 to build each, they are 2'w 3'h x 8' long and basically waterproof.
ry%3D480

Set up the stake irrigation table, only using 1/2 to start.
ry%3D480

Built a misting bar for the seed propagation side
ry%3D480

Bar in place and misting nicely
ry%3D480

All set, moved out the old shelves and stuff, back fabric added, mist irrigation on the left, pot stakes on the right, fan and misting up the middle added for cooling, ready to go :)
ry%3D480

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow that is very cool! It must have taken you a long old time to do that but however long it took you it is a great job!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That was a job that you did a very good job on. Was the misting already set up and you just replaced the cover?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
It took about 2 - 3 weekends part time for the measuring, sewing, building the tables and setting up the irrigation and misting. No, nothing was in place when I started, there was stuff being stored in it, Picture 4 shows the framework and the stuff that was being stored. Everything in that picture came out and I started with just the poles as framework and then made - setup everything else.

The cooling foggers, seed misters and pot stake irrigation are each on their own timer as is the fan.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
China
Wow,It looks so cool,I had a idea that we need used the metal frame for the greenhouse,It could be more stronger!
Will you build a water system for it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Good going! I have been wanting to do that same thing with my greenhouse, but the structure is so rickety that it's just not worth any more investment in it. Every time there is any amount of strong-ish wind, I keep expecting to go out and find everything on the ground and ruined. Time for a replacement!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a fantastic job you did, and it looks wonderful! All your hard work was worth it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like the looks of it. I had a old hoop house that I turned into a grape arbor now I wish would have put a new cover on it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Yes the tables are just 3/4" pvc and closet shelving. Very cost effective, I would say $20 - $25 total and it's mostly the closet shelving. It's odd as the corner pieces can be hard to find. Local Home Depot doesn't have them, Lowes sometimes does, last option is a local contracting store that charges a premium. Hour or two is all it takes to make one, they work nice. They (the corner pieces) can be made from two separate pvc parts pieces but that ups the effort, cost and looks bulkier.

Ask a Question