Recycled newspaper pots

Reaction score
So, could you start your seeds in this and then plant it directly into the ground? I love this idea, my grandma hoards newspapers. I can not wait to go there this Sunday and steal a bunch of her papers!

Reaction score
Omg, thanks for sharing this! I loved how simple this is! What a great idea to start our seeds :) I'll definitely try this in the future! I'd love to start growing things from seed in the future; this will surely come in handy. What a wonderful way to re-use newspapers :) The creativity of some people never ceases to amaze me!

Reaction score
I have been seeing articles online about reusing old newspaper to make seed pots for new plants. I kept setting aside time to do some and having something else come up. Finally last night a made some from a video I found on the No Ordinary Homestead blog. It's basically an origami box, though my newspaper sheets are a different dimension and the pots don't quite hold their shape as well.

I am also concerned with how thin the pots are; even though paper can hold up to water for quite some time I wouldn't want these to fall apart when picked up. I think when I start the next batch I will layer two sheets of paper together to make them stronger.

I may also try a different technique for making the pots in the future. The ones I have now were easy enough to do, but need something to hold the flaps in place since because of the paper size they came out so short.

Does anyone else make newspaper pots?
That is pretty interesting and a useful, but my method differs a little bit. I just get soil from the garden and make it into the shape of a pot. Once the shape is all ready, I leave it in scorching hot sunlight until it dries. Once it is dry I add more soil and the seeds of whatever it is I am planting and water it regularly (but I make sure I don't add too much water, or else the soil pot will be ruined). After about one week, I add it to the garden. It's not as efficient or long lasting, but I have found that it does help.

Reaction score
Just a question, for those that are making the origami pots. My pots are coming out pretty thick. Are they suppose to be pretty thick? My paper is getting pretty hard to fold in, even using something to press the folds flat. I did a test run on the folds, on a single sheet of printer paper and it came out awesome. Doing the pots in newspaper is killing my hands, though. Just wanted to make sure I am doing it right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So, could you start your seeds in this and then plant it directly into the ground? I love this idea, my grandma hoards newspapers. I can not wait to go there this Sunday and steal a bunch of her papers!

Yes, that's it exactly! You have to keep them in a tray though because you don't want to handle them too much.

Omg, thanks for sharing this! I loved how simple this is! What a great idea to start our seeds :) I'll definitely try this in the future! I'd love to start growing things from seed in the future; this will surely come in handy. What a wonderful way to re-use newspapers :) The creativity of some people never ceases to amaze me!

I ended up putting one pot inside the other and doubling because the size and texture of my newspaper just didn't turn out pots the same size and it didn't quite give me what I wanted.

Reaction score
Uhm, I guess I will have to try this out on my own to really know :) I'll have that in mind when I finally try it tho, but it really sounds like a really logic idea. What are you planting in those pots? I love the fact it's all biodegradable :)

Reaction score
Nope. The newspapers these days use soy ink. It's very green since the paper is biodegradable. It also takes a little while for the paper to break down so the pots are pretty strong, though it's probably best to use a double thickness of paper. You can plant the paper pots so you don't even have to worry about transplanting. It's a win-win!
That is a great idea and you have set aside the one fear I have. What a great way to repurpose papers. I do recycle nearly everything, but if it can work in the garden, I am all for trying it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Uhm, I guess I will have to try this out on my own to really know :) I'll have that in mind when I finally try it tho, but it really sounds like a really logic idea. What are you planting in those pots? I love the fact it's all biodegradable :)

I've found that I like using the cardboard tubes from toilet and kitchen paper better. The cardboard holds up really well when wet and you can just plant the whole thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I always plant my miniature roses cuttings in paper pots. It's very convenient, because you can make them in any size you want. Mine are tiny. Every cutting grows in a separate pot:)

Reaction score
Awesome! I will really don't try this in the future! It sounds like a very green and convenient way to grow your own cuttings :) I also love growing things from cuttings, so I really think this will be super convenient.

Reaction score
I've found that I like using the cardboard tubes from toilet and kitchen paper better. The cardboard holds up really well when wet and you can just plant the whole thing.

Awesome! Thanks for the super useful tip! What a wonderful way to recycle! I will definitely try this in the future and will look forward to collect the cardboard tubes ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That seems like a good idea and I bet the newspaper would breakdown much faster than the little cardboard starter pot that you buy at the store. Some of my plants have died before because the roots could not break free of the cardboard and the roots got squished. I am going to try the newspaper method this spring when I start planting again.

Reaction score
They do break down very well. Why spend the money for the others when you can use these for nothing? I love them.

Ask a Question