Raising the soil level around cypress trees

Reaction score
Country
United States
Long story but because of a landscaper error, we had this block wall built and trees and other plants in it. It then had to be raised by a foot. The 4 cypress trees are huge and I am worried they will not survive digging them up and replanting them. We are adding soil to the block wall (one foot) and the gardener I hired is putting all that soil around them. I think it will kill the trees. He says it will be ok. Any ideas of what I could do? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpeg
    IMG_0899.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0900.jpeg
    IMG_0900.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 13

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
After brainstorming all night my new thought is buy 4 galvanized raised bed planters and put one around each tree and then the dirt will be on the outside and the trees will be inside. They are 17” deep. Would that work? Would the trees be able to breathe this way? See attached photo. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0902.png
    IMG_0902.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Neither of those trees look very healthy. If they were mine, I would cut my losses, chop them down and start again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Neither of those trees look very healthy. If they were mine, I would cut my losses, chop them down and start again.
I hear you. It is hard for me to trash anything that is still green, we are babying them to get them healthy and then if all else fails have to replace them. Thanks!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Cypress feeder roots extend out several feet from the tree well over 10 ft. With the boxes 3ft x 6 ft., provides only 1.5 ft on each side at the closest point and even less considering the diameter of the tree. That is going to adversely affect those feeder roots especially the 3 ft direction. How much is kind of a guess at this point, but they will be negatively affected. Perhaps a circular container with 8 ft diameter would improve odds...but may be too late to consider if you have ordered the 3 x 6 .

Ask a Question