Raising Solitary Bees This Year

Reaction score
Country
United States
This year I'm going to start raising solitary bees. I've thought about working with honey bees, but since my husband's really allergic couldn't. Supposedly solitaries are better pollinators than honey bees and rarely sting. All you need to raise them is rolled up paper tubes. They lay their eggs in the tube and seal it up. You bring the tube in for the winter and replace it the next spring.

I've heard there's a depository program where you can get native solitaries sent to you but I can't find any information on it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have any experience raising solitaries?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's such a wonderful idea, Crazymomma! I'd love to start raising bees too. Unfortunately, I don't have my own garden yet. The main character in one of my favorite TV shows built a few beehives at the top of his house. I don't know if it's possible in real life though:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You will have to keep us informed of your progress. I am a little afraid if bees so a hive is out if the question for me. You should post some pictures once you get it established.

Ask a Question